cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPE ProLiant DL360 Gen9 Smart Storage Battery Failed - Continuation

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

HPE ProLiant DL360 Gen9 Smart Storage Battery Failed - Continuation

On a relatively new HPE ProLiant DL360 Gen9 server, the Smart Storage Battery failed (5 months after the warranty expired.  Grrr!)  I have now purchased and installed three replacement batteries, the last one from Amazon Renewed.  All batteries immediately report failure when the server is powered up.  iLO and SmartArray P440ar firmware are both up-to-date.  iLO shows that the battery is present, but failed.  I've waited more than 24 hours on each server to see if the battery would charge and then work properly, but no such luck.  What other steps can be taken so that the server properly recognizes the good replacement battery?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: HPE ProLiant DL360 Gen9 Smart Storage Battery Failed - Continuation

Did you also update the bios? I have noticed if the RAID FW is really updated but the bios is really outdated, it causes some funny issues.

Anyways I would swap the battery from a known battery that is working from a working server. Then can you report back? 

I am not an HPe employee.

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Sadly I do not have access to BIOS updates because the warranty has expired.  And sadly, this is my only Gen9 server.  I guess I am out of luck.  A time and materials repair would almost be the cost of a new server.  It seems to be a design flaw, as there is a lot of discussion about this same issue on the web.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@mjthurgood wrote:

Sadly I do not have access to BIOS updates because the warranty has expired.  And sadly, this is my only Gen9 server.  I guess I am out of luck.  A time and materials repair would almost be the cost of a new server.  It seems to be a design flaw, as there is a lot of discussion about this same issue on the web.

Not all ROM updates require a valid warranty or contract.   System ROM Version: 2.72_03-25-2019(A)(2 May 2019) is the latest DL360 Gen9 release avalable to anyone.  

“Critical” related firmware updates (addressing safety and security fixes) will be made available to all ProLiant customers outside of a warranty or support contract and are governed by "customer terms of use".  https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c04044353

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for the guidance on how to obtain a more recent BIOS.  I've successfully updated the BIOS to version v2.72, but unfortunately the problem remains with two different refurbished/renewed batteries:  313-HPE Smart Storage Battery 1 Failure - Battery Shutdown Event Code: 0x0400.  iLO is now reporting error 338-HPE RESTful API Error - Unable to communicate with iLO FW. BIOS configuration resources may not be up-to-date. Action: Restore Manufacturing Defaults in RBSU.

Are there any other steps I can take?