1748051 Members
4877 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HPE Smart Storage Battery for HPE Proliant Gen9 Servers

CarlosPrado
Occasional Advisor

HPE Smart Storage Battery for HPE Proliant Gen9 Servers

These 96w new batteries support 24 devices, ok? At least this is reported in quickspecs.

But, what does "devices" means  in this information? (1)

And, I found that trough Insight Diagnostics, (storage section) is possible to check "capacity load: 24" (devices?) when the battery is ok, but how could I check the % of charge? (2) Thinking I´m working before deploying any O. S.

Thanks a lot for any advice.

4 REPLIES 4
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

Well the concept of the "new" batteries is that you only need one battery for all the raid controllers in your system. The battery power is distributed throght the backplane to every controller (small cable necessary). The old Smart Array controllers had it's own battery for each one.

So I assume that "24" devices refers to the number of controllers that one single battery can supply power to. I'm surprised by the number.... what server can take up 24 raid controllers??

Battery status can be checked in the Smart Storage Administrator, booted via Intelligent Provisioning (F10)

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"
Vinod_R
HPE Pro

Hello HPE user.

With the introduction of ProLiant Gen9 Servers, HPE has made a significant change to how Gen9 Smart Array Controllers support their
flash-backed write cache (FBWC). In Gen9 Servers, a single HPE Smart Storage Battery connected to the system board provides backup
battery power to all of the Smart Array Controllers in the system that use FBWC. The HPE Smart Storage Battery for ProLiant ML
and DL servers is a single Lithium ION battery pack capable of supporting multiple devices—replacing the individual SuperCaps used with
each controller in Gen8 systems. A smaller Smart Storage Battery provides the same functionality for ProLiant Gen9 BladeSystem Servers.

This new approach for supporting FBWC has several advantages over the use of individual SuperCaps. The HPE Smart Storage Battery
delivers more power for backup. Each 96 watt Smart Storage Battery in ML/DL Servers is capable of providing enough power to support
backing up the larger cache sizes (4 GB) found in HPE Gen9 Smart Array Controllers. Backing up 4 GB of cache to the flash modules can
take up to 1 minute, which is too close to the maximum capabilities of SuperCaps. The Smart Storage Battery is also capable of supporting
up to 24 separate devices in the system.
The HPE Smart Storage Battery also simplifies cabling by delivering its power to the motherboard via a single connection. Daughterboard
based Smart Array Controllers use FBWC, then draw their battery power directly though their connection to the motherboard. For the new
standup P-series Controllers, a single cable from the riser card to the controller provides the connection to the battery.
Finally, the Smart Storage Battery should provide a longer life expectancy than earlier solutions. By positioning the battery pack in an area of
the servers that will keep it at a temperature below 50°C, HPE has engineered a design that maximizes the lifespan of the HPE Smart
Storage Battery, which is fully warrantied for 3 years.

HPE Smart Storage for HPE ProLiant Gen9 Servers

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/V2/getpdf.aspx/4AA5-4526ENW.pdf

Please feel free to get back to me if you need any further clarification, I would be glad to assist you.

Thanks & Regards,

Vinod Singh Rawat

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

marvin8wz
Occasional Advisor

These 96w new batteries support 24 devices, ok? At least this is reported in quickspecs.

But, what does "devices" means in this information? (1)

Well, I think it's all about marketing techniques. But however, when you need to charge your device, you will get something that has a lot of postiive reviews, right? The same with me, that's why I've got this Villain power bank ( weblink: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08527CGRT ) with 20000 mAh in it, cause I've read hundreds of reviews from real people, and I'm pretty satisfied by this charger.

Vador
HPE Pro

Hello @CarlosPrado 

The 'devices' there means the Smart Array Controllers and NVDIMM's. It means that the 96W Smart Storage Battery supports 24 of those 'devices'. The quickspecs for the Smart Storage Battery also confirms this. It is a combination of Smart Array Controllers and NVDIMM's, that cannot exceed the count of 24, is what that statement is referring to.

While we know about the requirement of the Battery for the Smart Array Controllers, the HPE Gen9 servers have support for NVDIMM's as well which also need battery backup for their functionality. These are 8GB NVDIMM's and on a standard 24 DIMM Slot Systemboard, we can support a max of 16 NVDIMM's. 

From the monitoring ability, the iLO is capable of monitoring the Battery and display its status as well. While it does not show the number of 'loads' connected, it provides an ability to monitor it without any OS dependency.

Regards,

Vador

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo