1752591 Members
3414 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

hponcfg ERROR: iLO User authentication failed

BradV
Esteemed Contributor

hponcfg ERROR: iLO User authentication failed

Trying to reset an iLO password.  System is running RHEL 7.4 and I am logged on as root.  Simply running hponcfg -w out gives the above error.  I thought running hponcfg as root was supposed to bypass login?  Any ideas?  This is a DL560 G10 with hponcfg  5.4.0.

2 REPLIES 2
KSINGH_2018
HPE Pro

Re: hponcfg ERROR: iLO User authentication failed

"User authentication failed" does indicate that the provided credentials were not correct or the provided command was incorrect or incomplete. Please ensure that you have "Read/Write/run" permission for the hponcfg file and also please ensure that we have correct credentials or correct commands to perform the operation. Please refer to the following:

HP ProLiant Servers - How to Reset the HP ILO Inband Root/Administrator Password in Linux
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03487111

For any further technical assistance, kindly log a case using Support Case Manager for an Active Warranty/Carepack/Contract Support Server as we may have to go through the SOS Report to isolate the "Permission" concern.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

BradV
Esteemed Contributor

Re: hponcfg ERROR: iLO User authentication failed

I did put in a ticket.  I think it was failing because I am not running iLO in production mode, but the next level up in order to get 2048 bit private keys.  I think I will have to do the iLO password recovery procedure.  :(