1752777 Members
6551 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

In-place upgrade of Windows Server 2008 R2 to 2012 R2

Jeremy Gelber
Occasional Contributor

In-place upgrade of Windows Server 2008 R2 to 2012 R2

Hi, as per the title I'm trying to do an in-place upgrade of Server 2008 R2 to 2012 R2 but it keeps failing with a message about being "unable to apply unattended settings during pass [offlineservicing]". That error has been documented on this forum and elsewhere as required Intelligent Provisioning to avoid any driver issues etc. My hardware is a ProLiant DL360p Gen 8 server.

My problem is that, as far as I can tell, there's no way to use Intelligent Provisioning to do an UPGRADE. You can do a clean install, of course, but that will wipe the drive before it puts the clean operating system on it.

Is there a way either to turn off Intelligent Provisioning (which I'm guessing is causing the offlineservicing message since the exact same media installed perfectly in a test VM) or to perform just an upgrade?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2 REPLIES 2
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: In-place upgrade of Windows Server 2008 R2 to 2012 R2

Hi,

To disable IP, refer to this document.

https://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=mmr_kc-0108654

You may also try removing any USB devices like USB Stick, USB drives, etc before upgrading.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Jeremy Gelber
Occasional Contributor

Re: In-place upgrade of Windows Server 2008 R2 to 2012 R2

Thanks, will disabling IP resolve this problem ?