New Discussion юеВ

Increase RAID 1+0 logical volume size online

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sandros
Occasional Advisor

Increase RAID 1+0 logical volume size online

Hello,

We recently used up almost all the space on a RAID 1+0 logical volume. It contained 6 x 146GB disks. We have changed them to 300GB disks one by one.

Now, I want to increase the logical volume to use all available disk space.

The controller is a P410i. Is it possible to increase the logical volume size without rebooting the server? (eg. from hpacucli, hpasmcli, or some other utility available on linux (centos))

If not, how can we do that from console (KVM)? Can someone link a video tutorial or a step-by-step guide? I'm not familiar with these kind of things from HP, so if acceptable, please include as much information as possible. I've read about this issue before but I haven't figured out what LUN and other tools are and how to access them.

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
kriM
Advisor
Solution

Re: Increase RAID 1+0 logical volume size online

Hello, 

What is the Server model and generation of the Server G4, G5, G6 G7..? I think if itтАЩs not the older or the newer one, that its needs to be G2 or G3 (you can see a G6 or G7 on the front of the server) 

Option 1.

Safe way to increase the Logical drive is through Offline Array configuration utility.

Boot the Server and enter Array configuration and select the controller and then the logical drive and resize.

These G6 G7 server's use Smart array P410i controller, as RAID controller, which can be configurable with HP Array Config Utility (generally installed, if you installed the server with smartstart, or if you installed any support pack). 

Note: Take complete data backup before proceeding the Logical drive increasing.

1. check for Array Config Utility (ACU) exist (generally in start menu/HP system tools)
  2. If not, download the latest version of HP ACU from www.hpe.com -> software and driver downloads
  3. If you donтАЩt have ACU, its means, maybe the drivers and firmwareтАЩs are not the latest ones, make a full backup, and update the drivers and firmware for storage controller (sometimes the hard drive firmware needs to update also)
  4. Run ACU, select the array and choose expand from the right (if needed),
  5. select the Logical Drive, and expand it also.
  6. save the configuration to raid controller.
  7. From the Operating system rescan hard disks, if you didnтАЩt make any mistakes, the hard drive looks bigger. 

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00142272.pdf

Page 34 - Expand Array

Option 2.

Hpacucli, can also be used to expand the logical drive size, A Server reboot is required for the logical drive to take effective.

https://www.server4you.com/community/article/operating-systems/300-hardware-raid-management-with-hp-array-configuration-utility-cli-hpacucli

Recommend to go for offline ACU utility for safer side, if data and configuration is much concerned.

Disclaimer: Data integrity is customer responsibility. HPE recommends to have data backup frequently and before performing any activity so that it can be restored during disaster recovery.

Thank you,
I am an HPE Employee
Sandros
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

Thank you for the detailed information! I attached a screenshot of the array configuration tool that is available on the server. It is an ML350 G6 with P410i.

I am going to try to extend the logical drive size using this tool if that option is available from there. If not, I see that I could use "hpacucli ctrl slot=0 ld 1 modify size=500 forced". In this case If I want to use all available space what value should I set the size parameter to be? I am thinking of 900 (because RAID1+0 with 6x300GB disks).

Thanks!

kriM
Advisor

Hello,

6* 300GB disks with Raid 1+0, you will get usable disk size of 900GB.

Thank you,
I am an HPE Employee