4716 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing Server 2019 or 2016 with Intelligent Provisioning

Wizzkidy
Occasional Advisor

Installing Server 2019 or 2016 with Intelligent Provisioning

Hi,

Why is this always so difficult? It's been the same all the way since the G8's. You get a new server and the BIOS and firmware is completely out of date, so you use inteligent provisioning to update, only to find out that even that is not working and doesn't show you the latest firmware/BIOS.

So you think, "Oh, this is a bit poor but OK I will just download the latest BIOS/ILO and Intel Provisioning from the website directly, so I do this and its a pain in *** to be honest but I manage to get my new DL380 up to date for all the ILO/BIOS and Intel Provisoning.

Now I go to install Server 2019 with a fresh ISO from the VLSC MS site through Intel Provisioning, great I think Intel Provisoning has found the Server 2019 image and says its fine to use, great. I wait about 15 , 20 minutes for it to finish installing, the server reboots and I just get the below and it gets stuck

https://imgur.com/ApV0b3N

I then try and install Server 2016 the same way and get exactly the same thing, what am I suppose to do now? I can install outside of inteligent provisioning but WHAT IS THE POINT OF IT IF IT DOESNT WORK WHEN EVEN UP TO DATE!

So frustrating

14 REPLIES 14
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello ,

I can understand of your pain. I will help you isolate/resolve your server issue.

I would like to request you share below information for isolate and fix the issue.

1. What is the version of Intel Provisioning are using ?
  2. What is server model with Generation (like Gen8,Gen9, Gen10)

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Wizzkidy
Occasional Advisor

Hi to answer your questions, the server is on IP version 3.22 and Ilo is at 1.4 and BIOS is at 1.50. Its a DL380 Gen10

Just to update on this. I am unable to build any OS outside of Intelligence Provisioning either, I get a different error, when you "press any key" to boot to the windows ISO you get a major load or red error messages over the screen.

I spoke to HP and they have suggested to clear the NVRAM via switch 6 on the "System Maintiance Switch" which I have done. If this doesn't work they want to replace the motherboard, this is a brand new DL380 Gen10 only 2 days old.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hi
Please follow below recommendations.
1. Install the OS manually.
2. Download the SA controller driver from the below link and extracting in a folder.
o Mount OS ISO image in ILO
o Mount SA controller driver in iLO folder (browse and select SA controller driver folder where you have extracted)
3. Boot the server from OS ISO image and provide the SA controller driver during OS installation.
4. Once OS installed, you can run online SPP update to update all the drivers and firmware with the latest.

* RECOMMENDED * HPE Smart Array Gen10 Controller Driver for Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016, and Windows Server 2019

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_5e75fa313d5342d498bff6df6e#tab4

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Wizzkidy
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

So the NVRAM clear didn't work, HP decided to replace the motherboard for some reason, this didn't work and IP still will not build 2016 or Server 2019 and I get the same error as in my original post.

Also the RAID card in the server which is a HPE Smart Array P824i-p MR Gen10 comes up as "Unknown" in the iLO for some reason.

I am attempting to build manually outside of IP now but this failed once already. Going to send this server back .

Wizzkidy
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

So I found that this version of RAID card does not support iLO monitoring or Intelligent Provisioning within the documentation for the P824i-p MR Gen10. here - https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=a00044944enw

Why would HP provide a RAID card that doesn't support the main bulk of the BIOS systems? this has caused confusion and frustration! I now think I will have to get this replaced to a P816i-a SR.

HP support has been terrible, replacing the motherboard on the back of a card that doesn't support Intelligent Provisioning in the first place? I confirmed with them what RAID card was in the server!

Poor service from HP.

[Modertaor edit: Removed the broken link. Please refer to https://support.hpe.com/]

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hi ,

I would like to request you , log a case with HPE technical team for thoroughly understand this . HPE technical team will get required logs (like AHS report) .They will suggest further action for fix the issue.

Regards,,

I am a HPE Employee.

Accept or Kudo

AkiraX
Advisor

Feel your pain!! similar issue on brand new synergy gen10 when trying to build out server 2019 with or without intelligent provision in Uefi mode. Ran into issue 4 hrs ago and just went with Legacy Bios, it's 4 years later, new h/w and this still doesn't work.
BOYAN BIANDOV
Regular Advisor

Yah the scripts are jacked if IP is slightly older, I also ran into this some time ago. The fix for me was to flash IP to version 1.64.1 and then Server 2016 installed fine. I assume that won't just work for 2019 and there would be yet newer IP version needed for 2019

Stefhan

Hi,

We had the same problem on a DL360 gen10 with SA P408-i
What we found to make it work:

When IP asks about the Raid Configuration choose "Keep current settings" instead of "Recommended Settings"
(using Assisted Install)

Perhaps it works with the DL380 also.