1753657 Members
5758 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Maximum TB for PCI P440/4GB controller

Robertomcat
Regular Advisor

Maximum TB for PCI P440/4GB controller

Some time ago I acquired this controller, and I added an 8 × 6 TB, in a ML110 G9.

Now I am thinking about expanding the capacity of the disks, but in the PDF of the specifications I can not find what is the maximum number of terabytes that this controller can support.

Some of you could help me in the investigation? Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
Arnaud Delaloy
Valued Contributor

hello,

if it can help, last month I created a single 400TB RAID6 LUN on a Smartarray p441/4GB  (managing several D3600 daisy-chained enclosures).

since it shares the same chipset with the p440, that would be a hint.

the quickspecs for neither the P440 nor the p441 specify a TB value, but it says "up to 200 disks".

Robertomcat
Regular Advisor

@Arnaud Delaloy wrote:

hello,

if it can help, last month I created a single 400TB RAID6 LUN on a Smartarray p441/4GB  (managing several D3600 daisy-chained enclosures).

since it shares the same chipset with the p440, that would be a hint.

the quickspecs for neither the P440 nor the p441 specify a TB value, but it says "up to 200 disks".

Hello, thanks for answering. Yes, it is good news, but I had planned to incorporate the larger discs every so often, until I completely replaced the 6TB discs. So I have to make sure if I could incorporate 8, 10, 12 or 14 TB discs (well, these 14 TB worth a real fortune).

But hey, if the two controllers share the same chip, I do not think there's a problem. The problem might arise in the individual capacity of each disk and the compatibility with the controller, not the total capacity, but it is another aspect that I do not know either.

Arnaud Delaloy
Valued Contributor

To my experience, it can handle many 10TB LFF disks :  I was able to group 48 of them in one LUN., and  my SA p441 is running firmware v6.30 (the latest version AFAIK)

Robertomcat
Regular Advisor

@Arnaud Delaloy wrote:

To my experience, it can handle many 10TB LFF disks :  I was able to group 48 of them in one LUN., and  my SA p441 is running firmware v6.30 (the latest version AFAIK)

Okay, I'm also running the latest firmware for the controller.

The 10 TB took it for granted that it would support it, and I think it would have no problems with the 12 TB, and that is my big question.

If nobody can confirm that the 12 TB can be supported by the P440 / 4GB, then I would have to buy the 10 TB.
I'll wait to see if anyone has had the experience with disks of up to 12 TB on this controller.

Although for everything you tell me, I'm sure he will bear them.

Thank you!