1752589 Members
4453 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: migrating a RAID set

mike clery
Occasional Contributor

migrating a RAID set

I have a DL380 12LF GEN 9 HP840ar Win 2008R2  with 2 x 1TB drives in RAID O volume for the system drive and 7 x 8TB drives (6+1) RAID 5 data volume. 

I would like to physicall move the RAID 5 7 x 8TB drives into a new DL380 GEN9 with a P841 / D3600 expander box without corrupting the data or rebuilding the RAID set.

Is this possible 

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@mike clery wrote:

I have a DL380 12LF GEN 9 HP840ar Win 2008R2  with 2 x 1TB drives in RAID O volume for the system drive and 7 x 8TB drives (6+1) RAID 5 data volume. 

I would like to physicall move the RAID 5 7 x 8TB drives into a new DL380 GEN9 with a P841 / D3600 expander box without corrupting the data or rebuilding the RAID set.

Is this possible 

As long as there are no existing arrays on the new system, this migration should go smoothly.   All array information is stored in the RIS area of each disk in the array(s). Trying to mix old and new drives or arrays generally won't work as they will not contain the same array information.

I you don't also move the RAID 0 array, you will get a failed array message and once you can get into SSA, you can delete the missing array

Standard discalimer: Any time you are dealing with array modifications, verify you have a good data backup

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
mike clery
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Jimmy

Do I have to create a new RAID 5 in the new D3600 box specifying the same 7 drives?

After this I have concern that the RAID will go into format and I will loose the data.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@mike clery wrote:

Thanks Jimmy

Do I have to create a new RAID 5 in the new D3600 box specifying the same 7 drives?

After this I have concern that the RAID will go into format and I will loose the data.

I thought you were placing the drives in the server.  I don't have a lot of experience with the external box, but I think the attached smart array should see the RIS information on the drives and recognise the array.   Maybe someone else with more experience will chime in, or you can call support.  If there are already arrays configured on the new system, I'm not sure the drives can be moved over as their RIS information will not match the RIS information on the existing drives

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!