1752751 Members
5154 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML110 G5 has no video and won't boot

ANTHONY MAW

Wow great solution.  

I'm absolutely disgusted that HP makes it so difficult to recover the server after their Windows-based BIOS update utility FUBAR'd my server - you can imagine the stress and panic!

There is NO MENTION in HP's usage documentation about clearing the CMOS with JP7 and anything to do with JP15 BIOS recovery setting or anything about the floppy disk alternative solution.

I will add that the USB flash drive creation tool does not work under Windows 10 - you have to run it in application compatibility mode as Windows 7 environment for it to format the USB stick and then it doesn't run when plugged into the server probably because of the JP15 issue not mentioned.

You mention Step 9 to wait 15 to 20 minutes - i noticed the motherboard played  a short 4 note chime when the floppy disk activity stopped, after about 20 minutes - but you have to be in front of the machine with the cover removed to hear it!

Thanks to guys like you for a detailed useful answer to an otherwise stressful situation where money and jobs are at risk.  

Best regards and a toast of a virtual-beer!  Anthony Maw, Vancouver, Canada

EricG1793
Occasional Contributor

Hi everyone,

I was able to make the ML110 G5 bootable again with the instructions above. Thanks for the information!

However, the fan is racing on high speed constantly. Just as an overview, I had first upgraded the BIOS with the Windows utility, which caused the fan to race constantly. I did more research and found out that performing the USB BIOS update procedure fixed that issue, and it did on another ML110 G5 I had. However, when I did the USB update on this one, I got the black screenand beeps, so I used the USB to recover the BIOS.

Now I've done the Windows installer BIOS update, even though that didn't do anything because it's already up to date. And I did the USB again the normal way, and the fan still races.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Griff_1
Occasional Contributor

I've got this problem, but as this is an old server we're not likely to purchase a care pack just to download the bios.

It's been replaced by a new server, but all I'm after is booting it up to get a few files off the raided SATA disks.

Does anyone know if SP45854.exe is available anywhere else so I can try the above steps.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@Griff_1 wrote:

I've got this problem, but as this is an old server we're not likely to purchase a care pack just to download the bios.

It's been replaced by a new server, but all I'm after is booting it up to get a few files off the raided SATA disks.

Does anyone know if SP45854.exe is available anywhere else so I can try the above steps.

You have what problem?  Just no video or were you were attempting a BIOS update and it failed? The latter is why this post was originally created in 2009.   If your system was working and the video just stopped displaying a ROM update will probably not resolve the issue.  SP45854 was mentioned in the thread, and was probably the latest available when someone used it in their explanation.   There is a newer critical BIOS release that is available without care pack

** CRITICAL ** Systems ROMPaq Firmware Upgrade for HP ProLiant ML110 G5 Servers (For USB Key-Media)
http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=3577726&swItemId=MTX_33b7e9fe64024d07834adb81c1&swEnvOid=4064#tab-history

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Griff_1
Occasional Contributor

I believe a failed BIOS.  Staff at the remote site that had the server say it was saying bios update, then after that it's not booting up, or showing any POST screen.

I've got the BIOS files now so will give it a shot and see if it sorts it.