1748069 Members
5484 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

ML110 G7 - Strange fan behavior

IDH
Frequent Visitor

Re: ML110 G7 - Strange fan behavior

Same problem has come back again even after replacing thermal paste. Seems related to ambient temperatures rather than CPU cooling.

Considering this is hardly a hot UK summer, 24 deg C sending the fans to max does not sound like anyone at HP has thought this through (or got a clue?).

SMEs or home users buying these are not going to have cooled server rooms so either the odd one is bad (well I've had two out of two bad ones!) or HP have a whole pile of complaints.

Interestingly, despite this being an HP forum, no one from HP has come back with ANY comment - yes guys keep your heads down!

Well temepratures here should drop soon so maybe the noise will go away. Either that or it's going in the garage. I foresee it going on eBay next summer and no more of my money going HPs way given their lack of interest.

Ian

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>no one from HP has come back with ANY comment

This is a peer to peer forum, not an official HP support site.  So unless this board is part of an Expert Day you can try: http://www.hp.com/go/hpsc

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Announcements/Expert-Day-September-20th/m-p/5757193

MRCaccapi
Advisor

@Howooden wrote:

@Having unsuccessfuly tried the methods mentioned - here's how I seem to have fixed my fan issue (Rear fan @ 50% - 54% regardless of ambient temperature or load).

Power on the server.
Press the F9 key to enter RBSU.
Select "Advanced."
Go into "Thermal Configuration and select "Increased Cooling."

Exit and restart server.

Using iLO all fans now run at around 47% and boy is it noisy.

Restart server and repeat process, setting "Thermal Configuration" back to "Optimal Cooling"

After this I had a very quiet ML110 G7. I hope this works for you.

Regarding the missing heatsink see HP's explanation.

Hello, we just bought a couple of ML110 G7 and we have the same noisy fan problem.

We discovery that the fan speed increase when you plug-into additional items, i.e. HDD or DVD-Rom or PCI additional card.

Infact, unbox the 1st server, open it and add Ram, HDD and PCI card.

The when start it the fans run really quick.

So we unbox the 2nd server and power on w/o adding any items and it runs really quiet.

Adding component to 2nd server and power-up it again the fans become really fast.

We upgrade the ILO firmware to the latest version available getting a low improvment.

So we use the upon method and we get an additional improvement, but I think a new Bios/firmware will be necessary from HP.

MRCaccapi
Advisor

HP support just contact me w/o solution.

They told that if you add component to server (i.e HDD or PCI card) system fan runs at high speed...

This is a really bad design IMHO

I hope they delivery a new Bios update asap to silve this problem.

If anyone has news please post here

garethcamp
Occasional Visitor

Hi Guys,

I'm a very recent owner of the ML110 G7 for use as a Home server (I already have an N40L MicroServer).

I thought I'd post to give my findings:

The fans in my system are very noisy, I've tried:

1. Replacing the CPU heatsink compound

2. Making sure all the BIOS, iLO & other firmwares and drivers are at the latest version.

3. Changing the BIOS setting to 'increased cooling' then switching it back to 'optimal cooling'

With no change whatsoever, please, please can HP issue a new BIOS with some way of resolving the fan speed issue, I was hoping to be able to buy and fit replacement fans but given the unique design of the HP fans this isn't an option.

MRCaccapi
Advisor

waiting for HP new Bios I just purchased a new fan

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=44&lng=en

then I will try to connect it following the proliant scheme hoping Bions wont give me error on boot.

I will post here my result.

Please cross your fingers :-)

MRCaccapi
Advisor

Do you have fan problem with PCI card installed or also without?

I'm trying to restore the original fan speed unistalling all additional component but I'm unable to do... any suggestion?

garethcamp
Occasional Visitor

I have a PCI-E Video Card and 3 x Non-HP HDDs installed, I've not bothered removing anything because the server should function correctly with all of this in it. I'd rather find a fix for the server as I intend to use it, not with it being a bare shell.

MRCaccapi
Advisor

Right! I have installed 1 PCIe adaptec 2405 card and 2x non HP HDD and all works fine except the case fan.

I'm thinking to repliche the fan and in Bios Giove me startup error, I will cut all blades of the standard fan so it runs without noise because it is w/o blades and connect an additional quote fan to the rear.

thecheekymonkey

Hi also am having an issue with the ml110 g7

if i install another pcie graphics card in the machine the fans go ridiculous, if i remove it they go down.

latest firmwares / ilo management etc etc

make no difference.

im sorry HP but this is ridiculous.

am going to return them , unfortunate as the hardware for cash is brilliant but its a stupid fault in the bios.