4107 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML110 Gen9 High fans with SATA AHCI

maverick07
Occasional Collector

ML110 Gen9 High fans with SATA AHCI

Hi.

I recently purchased a HPE ML110 Gen9 4LFF and installed ESXi 6.5 on it. using the HPE custom image. I have two LFF disks. Rather than using the B140i software raid, I want to pass the two disks directly to ESXi.

When I set the mode to SATA AHCI in BIOS rather than B140i, the disks are present in ESXi, but the fans continue to spin at a higher rate, as the normally would during boot up. When I switched back to B140i in BIOS from,SATA AHCI and the fans are silent again, but I cannot see the disks in ESXi. Assuming I first need to set them up in some type of RAID first.

My question is, is it possible to pass the disks directly to ESXi whilst keeping the fans speed down?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Unfortunately using the embedded chipset SATA controller the answer is no.  The B140i driver passes temp data to iLO which controls the fan speed. When in SATA mode the drive temp can't be passed to iLO as the driver isn't present.  The HPE custom image does include the B140i driver. 

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
joebb1017
Visitor

Sorry to bump an old thread. Are there other SATA controllers that will allow the drive temps to be read by iLO? I am looking to hook up SSDs in AHCI mode in the ML110 G9.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

pages 27/28 of the quickspec lists all the supported disk controllers. I know the 'P' series controllers will report the temp data to iLO, not sure on the 'H' series controllers, but I'd suspect they would too

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04545452

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
joebb1017
Visitor

Just to be clear, if i use the P440 in AHCI mode, the controller will see the drive temps?

Thanks again