ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753288 Members
5508 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML150 G2 Expansion ROM not initialized

Marcus Tavares

Re: ML150 G2 Expansion ROM not initialized

I've exact the same problem. My hardware is a ML150G2 and I have a HP SCSI RAID Controller that came built-in the server and I've installed an additional Compaq 29160 (Adaptec) that was working on a DL580.
Upgrading the bios to the latest ones available on the HP's site does not solve the issue. I've tried both system bios v1.10 and SCSI Single and Dual Channel BIOS v5.05.18.02.
Any help???
Thanks!
CA1326100

Hi guys,

I have some ML150G2 SCSI modell, which are working fine, until I want to put in my adaptec raid controllers to them. I had got exacty the same error message You had.

I have also tried to upgrade systemboard and scsi controller bios, but nothing happened. It's still an open question, or does anybody find out the answer?

regards
Peter
CA1240803
Occasional Advisor

Hi All,

I'm afraid there can be no answer unless HP decides to come to the party.

As mentioned in my earlier postings, HP is not supporting us for not using HP controllers in the server. But as I have also discovered, when using a HP controller, I got over the problem of booting the server without an error, only to find that I have not been able to perform a successful backup when the existing tape drive is connected to the HP controller.

In my efforts to continue supporting HP and their products, I purchased an iPaq h6365 combined PDA and phone. Not a single client have not complained about calls to or from me made with the h6365. Posts of the problems on the relevant HP Forum met with no answers (as others have the same issues).

Kelvin
CA1326100

cos' i have experimented this issue only now, my point of view is not as dark as Yours (even if I understand your point as well)

Hp doesn't support 3rd party devices, that's correct, as any company does the same. But. HP uses adaptec controllers as well, so, what's the deal with non-hp-branded adaptec stuffs?

The things I had found out until now.

- I had put in my adaptec raid controller, which operates when the OS boots up (w2k3). The bad news is, i'm unable to run even the windows version of storage manager, therfore I'm not able to reconfigure the array, or even get informations about it's status...

- Some SUN servers has the same issue with additional PCI cards. SUN suppose, to disable each and every non used controllers in the server (NIC, floppy), which will let You to use the card. I'll try this afternoon if it helps us or not

- From adaptec there's also some info:

"Some motherboards limit the available upper memory area; some do not have upper memory area at all and only support the use of extended memory.

Some manufacturers will reserve this upper memory area for their use only, such as for USB or other proprietary I/O devices on the system.

A limited amount of available upper memory can prevent additional cards (add-in optional ROM) from loading, as in the BIOS of some Adaptec SCSI Cards.

These conditions can usually be identified by "BIOS POST" hanging or "BIOS POST" error messages like: "Expansion ROM error" / "Expansion ROM not Initialized" or in the general failure of being able to run the 'SCSI Select Utility.'

Regrettably this is a motherboard system BIOS feature and you might want to check with the motherboard or computer manufacturer to see if there is a firmware upgrade or option to modify the upper memory area on the system BIOS. If the upper memory area feature is limited or has been disabled and there is no motherboard BIOS upgrade, then there may be no solution because there is nothing you or we can do to redirect the Adaptec controller from the conflict."

Finaly, we have to wait I think for a new bios. The newest I was able to download is 1.10, with date of 08/02/2004 or something. My server was shipped with bios date of 02/10/2004. And this issue still exist in it.

So I'll take two steps:
- Today I'll try to play around with bios (which is not the best if you check out the posibilities)
- On monday I'll get contacted to my HP sales/support responsible, and I'll make some pressure on him.

If there's any news, I'll let You know.

regards
Peter
CA1240803
Occasional Advisor

Hi Peter,

Yes this is a BIOS issue, and therefore a HP issue and not only an issue with the brand of card we are putting in. Like you, I had also tested with an Adaptec card with similar results. However, from my point of view, we are not asking HP to support the 3rd party card as such, but only to make their product, the HP server, more interoperable with other manufacturers equipment. After all, Adaptec is not an unkown name in SCSI controllers and as you suggested, HP uses customised versions of them too. If Microsoft customised their OSes so that they will only ever run Microsoft productivity software, you will have lots of people up in arms.

Although not posted here, I actually went through a a couple of weeks with HP tech support on this issue before they decided not to continue as it was not a HP branded card. They did suggest looking for a way to disable any onboard device not in use and even provided examples of doing so based on an Intel server board. I think the HP board is a custom version of an Intel server board (which is why the reference document was for an Intel board). However, as we found out, the HP version of the BIOS did not provide any facility to turn off the unused devices as suggested which was when HP support decided to call it quits.

Kelvin
Marcus Tavares

Both SCSI controllers that I'm using are HP controllers. Actually they are Adaptec, but they are official HP controllers.
In my server, both controllers are working perfectly on the Windows 2000, although I'm having that error message on the boot and also I'm not able to enter the CTRL+A on the second controller.
The main problem on my server is that I'll not be able to reboot this server remotely because it will stop at the boot. Also, if there is a lack of power, we will need to go there phisically and press ENTER so the server continues the boot.
I'll open a support case within HP to try to solve this issue.
Thanks.
Devin Henderson_1

According to HP this isn't an HP problem...

I have a HP Proliant DL145 which I just purchased. I also have a HP StorageWorks Ultrium 460 LTO tape drive...

I also have a LSI logic SCSI card which I purchased from CDW that I was informed by their HP rep that this card would work with the server I also purchased from CDW...

So... Does HP offer any advice?
CA1339312

Hello,

we are using an ML110 and got the same problem after installing an additional Adaptec-SCSI-Card for our *HP*-Streamer. A support-call to HP was answered with the customary "You are using NON-HP hardware..."-So - no help from HP !

But after updating our BIOS to 4.6.20 we detected,that you can set in the "PCI-options" the "ROM-Scan Option" to "Disabled" for the PCI-Slot with the problematic PCI-card.

I don't kown, if this option will disable the ROM of our SCSI-ard completely, but for our DAT-Streamer we do not need the SCSI-ROM.

After this option was set, the system now boots cleanly without pressing F2 after BIOS-Self-Tests.

Regards,
Joerg
Marcus Tavares

I'd like to enphasize the both of my SCSI controllers are HP! It is an HP problem indeed! No solution yet... I'll look for the above procedure.
Amos YUNG

Hi,

HP has released new rom v.1.54 to resolve this issue:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24129.html

and it works with my server.

thanks.
Amos