6052 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML150 G5 - "Flashing BMC SDR/Config" on Boot

SOLVED
Go to solution
eclecticsol

ML150 G5 - "Flashing BMC SDR/Config" on Boot

I have ML150 G5, with WS 2008 x64, purchased August 2008, which has been on remote site for two years, unobserved.

On boot, it displays a message

Flashing BMC SDR/Config. Please Wait.
Do not power cycle or reset. This operation could take serveral minutes.. Done..
BMC Fan Curve updating... Done

The time to each "Done" seems to vary widely and the Flashing process does not cure the problem as it repeats next re-start.

During this time the fans are running at full speed.

I successfully upgraded the BIOS and Firmware to the latest recommended. It did not change any of the above symptoms.

I installed a LO 100c management card. The machine got to the first "Done" but not the second "Done" and was locked up. Removed the card and I have a usable server again.

Once past the Done, the OS boots and runs normally.

There is one previous reference to this message on the forums for a different server model, but no indication of the final resolution.

Any suggestions?

Jim Evans
9 REPLIES 9
Ali
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi Jim,

Looks like firmware update process did not complete successfully

Steps :
Power Cycle the Server (shutdown the server and remove all the cables including network and ILO)

Update the system bios using Rompaq

Update the LO100 firmware using TFTF alternatively as this takes less than 10 seconds to update the firmware.

Please refer to HP Customer advisory: c01995737
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01995737тМй=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=4026745&prodTypeId=15351

Updating the system bios and LO100 firmware has resolved the similar issue I had on ML150 G5 server.

Hope this helps,

Aftab.
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

eclecticsol

Aftab

Thanks for the swift reply and actions. The advisory is very helpful - I certainly did not expect to wait for seven minutes after the flash completed.

Will re do the BIOS and Firmware update again and report back here.

Jim
Ali
HPE Pro

Thanks Jim.
I hope, firmware upgrade goes fine this time.

Please don't forget to assign points :)

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!

Accept or Kudo

eclecticsol

Aftab,

A Good News / Bad News story.

I removed cables from the server as suggested. I reflashed the BIOS from a ROMPAQ. The flashing screen said it was the same version as already installed (which I expected), but I re-flashed anyway.

Powered down, plugged in the iLO L100c and powered up with Firmware 3.20 ROMPAQ inserted. During Boot, there was a message that the firmware should be upgraded (presumably for the new iLO card).

The Firmware Flash said it was upgrading from 3.05 to 3.20. This was a surprise as I believed I had already upgraded to 3.11 then to 3.20 earlier this week, but could explain the problems.

I left the Firmware Flashing process to complete and restarted. I left the system again to do the SDR update and boot normally into the OS.

All good news. The bad news is

on subsequent re-boots I still get the "Flashing BMC SDR/Config" and "BMC Fan Curve" messages.

However so far the first has been "Done" immediately and the second "Done" after a few seconds.

I have started the ROMPAQ Firmware flash process again to confirm that V 3.20 is now installed, then cancelled it.

I can live with the message if the system is stable, but my concern is that the BMC Flash message is abnormal and indicates an obscure MB fault which should be corrected.

Jim
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Jim,

Good to know that firmware flash process has been completed sucessfully.

You mentioned that you have started the ROMPAQ and cancelled it this might be one of the reasons for the error message again.

Power cycle the server again and observe.
as per my experience, this is releted to LO100 firmware only and does not affect any performance.

You may log a case with HP if really think ILO100 which is integrated on the system board has some issue and affecting performance

thanks,
Aftab

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

atilio marun

I have done exactly the same procedure and it solved my problem, which was fan run very laud.

Thanks for the detailed solution.
CN00400

I now have this or a similar fan problem. I've owned this server for more than 2 yrs, never had an issue, fan speeds were normal for operations. Needed to rebuild server w/ new OS, and updated BIOS yesterday and now it runs fast fans all the time. No LO management card is installed.
Ali
HPE Pro

HI CN00400,

Please post a new thread as people get confused and you may not get good participation.

Your issue is addressed with latest ILO firmware.

thanks
Aftab
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Sonny_Jim

I am having the same problem with a Dl180 G5.  Every boot it comes up with "Flashing BMC" even after following the instructions above.  Also the fans are stuck at full speed, any ideas on what I can do?

I'm also getting the messages "540-BMC SDR version errror" and "510-BMC SEL is full"