1748264 Members
4037 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML150G3 Windows 2003 SBS - "Unknown Device"

Eric M. Swanson

ML150G3 Windows 2003 SBS - "Unknown Device"

Hello,
I recently set up a ProLiant ML150 G3 server with Windows 2003 Small Business Server R2. I got past the hurdle of no floppy drive and a RAID controller (I used the slipstream CD trick posted on these forums, thanks!). Most everything seems to be going smoothly (besides the constant Exchange server errors in the event log, but this is due to my inexperience in setting up Exchange)

_BUT_ when I check the device manager, I see 2 items with question marks under "Other Devices"; one is an Unknown Device, the other is a PCI device, installed in location PCI Bus 0, Device 31, Function 2 (sounds like something on the motherboard?). I have attached a screenshot of the long hardware ID strings on the unknown PCI device in case that helps.
The other unknown device location is "on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System" and the Hardware ID is ACPI\IPI0001. I googled this string, and it seems to be related to the LSI SAS3080X-HP Raid controller that was installed with the server. I searched the forums for that part number, and came up with one thread stating that this part is not compatable with Windows 2003. ???

So... after more research on Win2K3 server, I found the SBSITPRO.doc article from Microsoft, and one of the "Gotcha's" is continuing to tweak the system before all devices are fully installed; I am wondering if this is where I tripped up.

I am pretty sure I have installed the most recent drivers for video, RAID, chipset, etc., so I am not sure how else to get these items up and running. My guess at the moment is that these are related to the onboard raid that is disabled (since I am using the LSI card for hot swap bays instead).

Your guidance and expertise are much appreciated. Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Ian Burgess

Re: ML150G3 Windows 2003 SBS - "Unknown Device"

Hi,

I had the same problem on my ML110 G4 with SBS2003R2 - I just kept unzipping the drivers on the Server Support CD, and then trying to install them.
Seems that it's a "HP NULL IPMI Controller" - whatever that is.
The driver that worked was located in
"x:\Drivers\Win2k3\IPMI\IPMIdumDriver.zip"
Where x: is the CD Drive.

Hope that helps!

Ian B.
dms_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: ML150G3 Windows 2003 SBS - "Unknown Device"