ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751975 Members
5047 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML30 Gen9 (SATA nhp model) + P440 Controller?

SOLVED
Go to solution
YankeeP
Established Member

ML30 Gen9 (SATA nhp model) + P440 Controller?

Dear all,

I have got an ML30 G9 entry model (P03704-XXX) with 4 LFF SATA disks - non-hot-plug. Now I got a quite new P440 controller  with its battery and cable too that would be available. Currently there are some standard non hot plug sata hdd in use (not mentioned in the quickspecs).

An option would be to buy a 4LFF drive cage, 4x new hdd that are supported then I get a hot plug solution that can be connected to the p440 (I have a wide mini-sas to 2x sff-8087 cable).

But that would nearly cost half the servers original price...

Is there any alternative in order to use that P440 in the server mentioned above?

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
BPSingh
HPE Pro

Greetings!

If you are looking for LFF option, then as you mentioned the following hot plug drive cage option is available as per server quickspecs.

HPE ML30 Gen9 4 Large Form Factor Hot Plug Hard Drive Cage Kit 822608-B21

NOTE: The LFF Kit is a backplane kit designed for going from NHP LFF to hot-plug LFF.

Components included: https://partsurfer.hpe.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=822608-B21

The SATA hot plug drives mentioned in the server quickspecs are smart carrier drives compatible for this server.

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
YankeeP
Established Member

Thank you for your confirmation!

So I understand I will have to buy that cage for 4x LFF.

Does this mean I also have to buy 4x new LFF disks??? or could I use my already installed sata disks with the fllowing trays: 666986-B21?

Thanks!

BPSingh
HPE Pro
Solution

Greetings!

666986-B21 is not hard drive caddy but hard drive blanks which can be installed on vacant HDD slots on the server.

The existing drives don't have the caddies. HPE hard drives will come along with the Smart Carrier caddies installed on them.

Smart Carriers:

HPE Hard Drives with smart carriers are designed to provide an interface to communicate critical status and management information. System status LED icons and a spinning activity ring reflecting the data-writing process notify users of the current system status. A blue LED located behind the handle can be activated remotely to guide users to a specific drive tray, while a do-not-remove icon positioned on the trayтАЩs eject button lights up to warn users when the removal of the drive would cause data loss.

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
YankeeP
Established Member

Hi,
i mixed caddies and blanks - my fault! But you answered my "wrong" question too:
I will try to use my existing drives with some caddies I got (hopefully the firmware is compatible with sc). In case this does not work I will have to buy new hdd - that is my worst case scenario!

Thank you for your help!
YankeeP
Established Member

unfortunately I have to reopen this topic:

The spare part is unavailable as the product is EOL now.

So my question is:

1) can I just buy the Hot Plug 4LFF backplane (as the cage is already there)?

2) Are there any experiences using a Hot Plug 4LFF backplanedrive cage from the gen10 model on gen9?

Thank you!