108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML310e Gen8 V2 with Server 2016 Hyper-V

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tony1044
Occasional Visitor

ML310e Gen8 V2 with Server 2016 Hyper-V

This server, despite being on the Microsoft HCL as certified for Windows Server 2016 (see https://www.windowsservercatalog.com/item.aspx?idItem=5034ab7d-e864-6747-9e38-df974f397de7&bCatID=1282 ) )doesn't seem to support the Hyper-V role.

I have tried the following scenarios (note, all firmware is as up to date as possible):

Installed Windows Server 2016 using intelligent provisionsing;

Installed Windows Server 2016 without intelligent provisioning;

Installed bare metal Hyper-V 2016.

In all cases, I've tried using both the drivers shipped on the provisioning AND the latest drivers from the HPE supprot site.

In every case, the role will go through the initial add, will reboot, reboot again and hang at the Windows logo with a spinning wheel.

Safe boot works but removing the role from there results in it saying feature couldn't be completed at which point it reboots back into the same hung condition.

A logged boot shows the last file loaded to be FASTFAT.SYS. Renaming this in both the DLL cache and SYSTEM32\drivers folder just shows the same point with the exception that FASTFAT failed to load.

In a nutshell the server doesn't appear to be in any way comaptible with Hyper-V 2016 OR I just have a bad one.

Wouldn't mind if anyone else could test and let me know their results.

Oh it's the onboard BL210 Array Controller with a pair of 1TB SATA drives (all checks out in good condition). Same results whether using the very latest 2016 compatible driver or the older 2012 R2 driver.

This is just a lab machine but I'm now at the point of not wanting to risk 2016 on it, trashing my lab down the line if I added another role that turns out to screw the OS over. :(

16 REPLIES 16
Tony1044
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Re: ML310e Gen8 V2 with Server 2016 Hyper-V

I refused to give up on this and I've stumbled on the following from HPE in this document:  https://www.hpe.com/h20195/V2/getpdf.aspx/4AA5-5841ENW.pdf

Possible solution

Table 5. Known issues and workarounds.

Description of issue

ML310e Gen8 v2 will not boot after enabling the Hyper-V role.

Workaround/Solution

Ensure ROM settings are configured with VT enabled and VT-D disabled before enabling the Hyper-V role.

I am in the process of trying and will report back any success or otherwise.

Tony1044
Occasional Visitor

Very happy to report that disabling VT-d has worked.

Anyone else having the issue, remember you need to power the server off when changing VT settings in the BIOS or the don't take - a reboot is not sufficient.

chessome

Funny, I also had this exact problem with the same server.

Thank you very much for your efforts, problem succesfully solved by disabling VT-D!

Btw, what is the drawback of disabling vt-d?

skywardsolution
Occasional Visitor

Wow thank you, this worked like a charm. 

Shayban

worked for me. thanks.

josemonteiro

Worked for me =) 

PegasoBlanco
Occasional Visitor

Perfecto !!!!, tuve ese problema durante algunos dias, sin contar que tuve que sufrir para llegar a este punto, porque el servidor no tenia instalado el Intelligent Provisioning, lo instal├й y no funcion├│, dur├й dando muchas vueltas, actualic├й el firmware de ILO, BIOS y nada, hasta que tuve que pedir soporte a HPE, result├│ que habia otro firmware m├бs actualizado, funcion├│ y ahora con ese problema de Windows que no pasaba del logo con raid 1 para Hyper-V nooo!!, pero con este foro logr├й solucionar mi problema !!!!, muchas gracias a todos !!!

Perfect !!!!, I had this problem for a few days, without counting that I had to suffer to get to this point, because the server did not have Intelligent Provisioning installed, I installed it and it did not work, I spent many laps, I updated the firmware of ILO, BIOS and nothing, until I had to ask HPE for support, it turned out that there was another firmware more updated, it worked and now with that Windows problem that did not go beyond the logo with raid 1 for Hyper-V nooo !!, but with this forum I managed to solve my problem !!!!, thank you very much to all!

Odirlei

Thank you, my friend! I'm from Brazil and I went through this for Problems. Thank God we have the collaboration of dedicated people with you to help. I leave my reservation here to be more voluntary as our friend. Hugs, I'm from Cuiab├б in the Brazilian Midwest. If I come here, I'll pay for the beer if I drink.

Att.

Odirlei Araujo

RobertoAzon
Occasional Visitor

Hi, I can not find the VT-D option in the bios. Could you tell me where you are? you have posivilidad to send me a screenshot ??
thank you very much for being crazy trying to solve this issue