1748078 Members
5399 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G6 UPS issues?

johnv_2
Occasional Advisor

ML350 G6 UPS issues?

I am having a weird issue with my new ML350 G6 server. It is setup through a UPS to provide power protection. Last night we had a power outage and the server immediately went off, even though other devices connected to the UPS were still powered on. I have checked to UPS to verify that it is not too much load for it and it is fine and i also verifies that it was plugged into a backed up outlet. I did a test today with the UPS and when the UPS goes into backup power the server shuts down and you can here like a relay clicking inside of the server. Does anyone have any ideas on what is going on?

PS...This server is only configured with one power supply from the factory.

Thanks,

John
93 REPLIES 93
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

psu could be faulty

and ups battery may not be fully charged yet
the server does not care where it gets power as long asit is enough,

try the powersuply in the other bay in the back does the powersupply work in both bays , does it have black trace arc marks on its tips , if so replace power supply and the power backplabe in the server and do not connect to the ups till you are sure ups is setup correct,,

This is how we thank in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

marcus1234
Honored Contributor

all thanks to Matti Kurkela he answered a post similar looks like a good answer for you too

Some UPSes have a special "bypass" outlet for laser printers or other high-peak-load devices. This outlet has the same over-voltage and RFI protection as the rest of the UPS, but it does NOT offer any protection against power failures.

Are you sure you did not plug your DL380 G6 into such a special UPS outlet?

Some UPSes have multiple "load groups" allowing the UPS control program to shut down some UPS outlets while continuing to provide power for others. If such an UPS is mis-configured, it may switch off one of the load groups immediately.
Juan C Pacheco

I have the same problem with my proliant ML350 G6 i have tried with 3 differents UPS (APC 1.5KVA, Tripplite 1.1KVA and a Deltec UPS 1.1Kva). I have checked the power cable, the ups outlet and the UPS batteries. I Don't know if the server just work with HP UPS or if I have to make some setup on the BIOS or BIOS update.

Please help me ... this server is a pre-configured model from HP with one power supply

Thanks

JC
Pogumirskiy Nikolay
Frequent Advisor

johnv
Please post your UPS model. If server use "active PFC" power supply some UPS may have a problem when it "on battery" state. The problem is in approximation of output voltage used by UPS. When it use step-form not sine wave voltage server may switch off.
johnv_2
Occasional Advisor

I have the APC UPS listed below. I verified that the power consumption is well within the limits of the UPS and wehn I did my testing the only thing connected was the UPS. Do you think the PSU in the HP server does not like the sinewave that the UPS is producing? This is now the third post I have seen with people having the same issue.

APC BACK-UPS RS1500VA LCD 120V

John
Pogumirskiy Nikolay
Frequent Advisor

Yes, APC BACK-series is low-cost and use stepped approximation to a sinewave. I recommend you to test ML350G6 with APC Smart-series if it is possible.
Tom Szabo
Occasional Advisor

John,

Have you had any luck with this issue? I'm having the EXACT same problem, we've replaced power supplies, power supply backplane, etc and it's still happening. HP has been no help at all (other than throwing hardware replacements at it).

Thanks
johnv_2
Occasional Advisor

Yup,

You need a UPS with a true sinewave output. I found someone local selling off a APC Smart-UPS 1500. Plugged it in and it works great.

John
Tom Szabo
Occasional Advisor

Thanks a lot, I was just coming to this realization talking to HP again. Funny that they can't tell me exactly what a power supply in one of their products needs.