1753767 Members
5475 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G6 UPS issues?

Carlos Magallon

Hello!
We recommend install the upgrade firmware: * RECOMMENDED * ProLiant Support Pack for Microsoft Windows Server 2008 x64 Editions

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3884316&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3884315&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4024

(If you are using w2k8 64x) And a UPS of 2000 VA it├В┬┤s enough. We are using an APC 2200. This worked fine to us.

Regards,
Carlos Magallon
Small Business Owner
Occasional Advisor

Ok. That's what we installed. Still, I think it is the battery backup/power supply compatibility.

On the other hand, how do I remotely monitor voltage on that server's power supply to even know if it is causing problems?

Thanks,
Wayne Henegar
Frequent Advisor

This is not a very technical post...done mostly from memory of my delimna months ago with one of my clients. I too am an SMB consultant and have to monitor/solve these issues while not being on site to solve first hand.

1)This installation has two PS installed in the server. 2)I set the BIOS for both PS to function all the time. 3)I plugged one (PS2) into UPS, the other (PS1) into regular outlet. 4)I monitored the HP management log and it would indicate that "PS1" lost power, then came back on after only seconds...server stay on. I cross referenced with employees observations of lights flickering or outages at those times...they observed none.

Basically established to my satisfaction that power surges/fluctuations that were not affecting anything else at the business were causing the PS that did not have the UPS to drop. The PS on the Eaton stayed up as did the server.

Prior to this experiment, both PS's on the APC (interlaced??) would indicate loss of power and not power back on...just set there with 'yellow' lights.

Maybe this 'poor boy' monitoring will work for you???
BrightMinds
Frequent Advisor

We've got a DL380 G7 with pretty much exactly these issues.

Dual PSUs with each going to a different APC SC1500 UPS. Problem is that at least once a day the server powers off. Normally just left with a flashing red power light on the front.

We need to look at buying a new UPS asap - anyone know the cheapest (!) dedicated UPS I can use with this incompatible, awkward, picky piece of ...?
BrightMinds
Frequent Advisor

I've noticed that our DL380 was shipped with odd PSUs.

In it are 2x 750W 506822-201 PSUs however these are not mentioned on here http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13595_div/13595_div.html#Power%20Specifications

HP support recommended trying a dedicated 2000VA UPS but since that's a criminally expensive 'test' I'm going to get them to ship me the PSUs mentioned in the above link. Something here's not right.
Jonas Eriksson

@BrightMinds

Like you experienced I've had similar problems with that PSU. However the secondary PSU in our G6 was a different model and works just fine with a "substandard UPS". Try getting HP to send one of those. ;)

See Below:

750W European PSU:s

BAD PSU
RMN: HSTNS-PL18
GPN: 506821-001
PN: 506822-201
Spare: 511778-001

WORKING PSU
RMN: HSTNS-PD18
GPN: 506821-001
PN: 506822-101
Spare: 511778-001
Ron Golesh
Advisor

It's interesting that this problem, as you can see by the number and dates of entry, continues. HP could have nipped this in the bud, over a year ago, with changes, and a response. Instead, these forums go on and on, with essentially no HP input to the forums and no HP answers, other then Buy their UPS. Everybody needs to express their displeasure with the lack of a response by HP and the need to have them admit and fix, rather then run and hide as they are doing.

Small Business Owner
Occasional Advisor

Just spoke with HP and they said that the G6 servers are the only ones affected with this issue. They have a new power supply that is more energy efficient and is more sensitive to power fluctuations. They directed me to http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13241_div/13241_div.html to lookup the UPS that are compatible with their system and would not send me any documentation. I told them I purchased an Eaton and they could not advise if this was going to work. However they urged me again using the APC.

My Eaton was shipped tonight and I could not cancel the order so I'm installing the Eaton tomorrow in hopes that this solves the issue.
Francisco.D

Hello all !

New in this forum, i have some troubles with ML350 G6 and UPS too.

Actually we have a APC Back-UPS Pro 1500, and of course, the G6 server shutdown without reboot when the UPS switch to the battery.

I asked to APC if there is an UPS compatible with the G6, and still waiting for the reply.

Some of users here decide to use a APC Smart-UPS 1500, can you tell me if this model is good for the G6 ?
http://www.ldlc-pro.com/fiche/PB00104072.html

Many thanks
Ron Golesh
Advisor

John,

It will not work. According to HP, only the HP UPS's are "up to the task".

Call the vendor you purchased the server from, complain, and ask them to complain to HP about this problem.