ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752815 Members
6051 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G6 UPS issues?

Jonas Eriksson

Better yet: Return it and buy a Dell. It is the only language they will listen to. =P
Tom Szabo
Occasional Advisor

Guys,

There is a lot of helpful information in this thread but also some not so helpful info.

The problem that the original post and most of us have encountered is an issue where the G6 (and I assume G7) servers need to be connected to a UPS that provides a TRUE SINE WAVE electric output. The reason why the SC APC models and other low end UPS devices don't work is because they are providing a 'Stepped approximation of a sine wave', in other words they are faking the signal. This is why the server shuts down as soon as the UPS goes to battery power.

I can confirm that the APC SUA1500 and the SMT1500 do fix the problem. Remember just look to make sure the output is a True Sine
Wave and you should be fine.
Ron Golesh
Advisor

Much of the usefull info, is in the April responses. HP should review the issues, the communication and the fixes and communicate them to the forum users.

BTW, there are several forums on this subject.
BrightMinds
Frequent Advisor

Part of the problem though is that HP (or their resellers) make no mention of this when we buy this (or my DL380 G7) server. So we start it up in the rack on an APC SC1500, it reboots, HP organise a motherboard change, it still reboots.

They told me it needs a dedicated 2000VA UPS, I said...surely not?!

It's only through these forums that I find out it needs a premium UPS and likely not one from APC. Ours is currently plugged directly into the wall so when the tariff switches at ~6am the UPS stammer doesn't force it to reboot.

To make things more confusing I can't find a single reseller that says their UPS provides a pure sine wave. The APC website just says 'sine wave'. Do HP help with this? Of course not.
Ron Golesh
Advisor

As a larger reseller of both Dell and HP, I can tell you that the HP servers come through distribution, not directly from HP. And...we and our engineers find out about the problems, when they occur, after the installs. Nothing from HP to us, as a dealer. We certainly now advise our customers of the issues.

We have found, through both trial and error (putting each UPS on a Scope and seeing if it meets HPs recommendations), that there is NO consistant pattern. For example, we have found that the servers work great with CyberPower pureSine models. One of the lowest prices UPS's on the market. But DON't work with the Eaton models listed as true sine wave (and the maker of HP's UPS's).

The biggest problem here is the LACK of reponse in these forums, from HP, and the lack of a solution made available from HP that does not require their own brand of UPS. Why would anybody not be suspicious of a problem that requires more hardware to be purchased from the company that has the problem?
BrightMinds
Frequent Advisor

And that's where it gets even more silly because many people say the Eaton UPSs work fine!
Ron Golesh
Advisor

Silly? Hmmm. Makes me wonder.

See Mikes post of October 2nd. Some Eatons work, some don't. Seems to be the status with most brands.

The issue is the response as well as the fix.
sammy mah_1
Advisor

I agree with the lack of notification from HP. How about something like a service bulletin?
Anyways, testing the UPS with a scope is a great idea - that could save you lots of time, money, and select a better UPS.
I'm going to get a used scope from Kijiji or craigslist.
Francisco.D

Hello !

I receive an answer from APC about the model of UPS to use with a HP PROLIANT ML350 G6.

"It's recommended to use a Smart-UPS SMT1500I."
Monkfish_1
Occasional Contributor

Well, I would disagree with the comments about HP UPSs work okay with HP G6 series servers. We are using HP R3000 UPSs and get the same problem as described, G6 servers shutting down uncommanded and not powering up again. Other servers on the same UPS continue to work fine. Having just found this thread it is reassuring to know that we are not alone as sufferers!