1753361 Members
5814 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML350 G6 will not boot with 2 X5670 CPUs

thebaronn
Advisor

ML350 G6 will not boot with 2 X5670 CPUs

Hi, I'm really hoping someone can help with this as it is driving me crazy.

I have an ML350 G6 with 1 CPU (X5670, SLVB7) and 9 x 8GB Registered DIMMs (72GB). The server powers up and works perfectly. The CPU was recently upgraded from an E5506 SLBF8.

I would like to install a second CPU and another 9 x 8GB Registerd DIMMs (taking the RAM to 144GB).

The trouble is, when I install the second (matched) CPU the server will not boot.

When the second CPU is installed, if I go into iLO then it does not show the latest hardware, it shows the hardware from the previous boot, which suggest it is not POST'ing correctly. None of the hardware sensors show any data.

I have been swapping parts to try to identify the issue, and am now really scratching my head. So far I have tried:-

• Adding a second 750W power supply.
  • Replaced the system board. Note the system board has product code 606019 which supports the higher end Xeons.
  • Added a fourth system fan.
  • Switched around the CPUs; both boot in socket one with only one CPU installed.
  • Switched around the RAM. All 19 DIMMs work in the sockets for CPU one.
  • Reset BIOS/cleared NVRAM using the dip switch on the system board.

I did suspect a faulty system board, but unless I am incredibly unlucky and have two that are DoA, then I'm not sure what else this could be.

Am I missing an obvious BIOS setting?

I should add that the two LEDs on the front panel are green, the LEDs on the two power supplies are green and there are no error LEDs showing on the system board.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

25 REPLIES 25
thebaronn
Advisor

Re: ML350 G6 will not boot with 2 X5670 CPUs

Sorry to bump this, but this is still an issue and I'd really like to know if anyone has experienced something similar.

freddy_bat
Occasional Advisor

PPM2 (Processor Power Module) for processor тДЦ2 is installed? PPM2 is needed on ML350 G5 (not sure about G6).

Edwin Eppel
Valued Contributor

No PPM mentioned in the manual for the G6. Poster seems to have met the requirements:

• identical part numbers for the both CPUs
  • additional fan required for 5600 series CPUs (System supports 4 fans max. Manual lists for dual CPU redundant fan config. 2 rear fans, 2 front fans, 2 CPU fans, 2 DIMM baffles and large redundant air baffle.)
  • reset NVRAM with main board dipswitch

Main board 511775-001 supports 5500 series CPU; 606019-001 is required for 5600 series CPU. Manual states that CPU2 memory is optional. The one thing not mentioned is the BIOS version. Older BIOS may not support dual X5670 CPUs. Unfortunately a service contract with HP is required for the latest BIOS as the G6 series is retired, and there is no guarantee that it will work. If you can find a second E5506 SLBF8 I would try installing 2 of those and see if it will post with the older model CPUs..

thebaronn
Advisor

Thanks for the tip, I've located another E5506 CPU and will install it tomorrow.

The current BIOS version is 07/02/2013. This appears to be the penultimate version for this server, with the latest version being 2015/08/16.

The server is out of warranty so I cannot try the later BIOS.
thebaronn
Advisor

Update, if you look at the BIOS revision history (link below), the 07/02/2013 release mentions unrelated fixes for X5675 and X5690, so the BIOS should in theory support the X5670 too.

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=3884318&swItemId=MTX_a343bf8e9164467e95d689a9b6&swEnvOid=1005#tab-history
thebaronn
Advisor

Update: I have now tried with two E5506 CPUs, same result though, system will not POST. Before I installed the second E5506 CPU I booted up with just one (the new one to make sure it is not a dud) and it booted fine. Should I reset NVRAM/BIOS having changed CPUs? 

I have double checked the pins in CPU socket 2, they look as good as new.

Andy.

Edwin Eppel
Valued Contributor

Any ideas Jimmy Vance? Poster seems to have covered all of the bases I can think of. I haven't dabbled much with the BIOS, but install both PSUs, both E5506 CPUs and one stick of memory for each CPU. Set DP switch 6 to clear NVRAM and then see if you can get into the BIOS to look for any settings that need to be changed; or does the posting not go far enough for you to access the BIOS?. Seems unlikely that you would have 2 defective motherboards with the same issue, unless it is the BIOS that is the issue. I would concentrate on getting it to work with the older CPUs first, but you've eliminated the PSU, CPU and memory as the problem and that just leaves the motherboard and BIOS. Wish I had a second Xenon CPU handy as we have the same ML350 G6 with spare PSU and memory, so I'm just missing the CPU to try it out myself.

thebaronn
Advisor

Thanks Edwin, if you are super curious you can buy an E5506 for around ┬г5 :)

I'll try some more combinations with the two E5506 CPUs tomorrow (e.g. removing all but two DIMMs).

Sadly when the second CPU is installed I cannot get as far as the BIOS. I get nothing on the screen and cannot access BIOS remotely. When I have one CPU installed I've trawled the BIOS for anything that looks like it might be causing this, but to no avail. One would have also thought something as fundamental as this would be covered in the manuals/other forum posts.

Thanks,
Andy.
Edwin Eppel
Valued Contributor

I went through the RBSU User Guide and didn't see anything that would affect your situation, except maybe Power Redundancy settings, but the default is Balanced any way. If the BIOS is reset to defaults you should be fine. With the 2nd CPU installed the system checks for adequate power and number of fans at post, and you seem to have that covered so I'm stumped as well. :(