ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751978 Members
4456 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML350 G9 BIOS has corrupted hw-PMU resources (MSR 38d is 330)

MonicaG
Occasional Visitor

ML350 G9 BIOS has corrupted hw-PMU resources (MSR 38d is 330)

When initialising ML350 G9 for the first time I get two errors

> [Firmware Bug]: the BIOS has corrupted hw-PMU resources (MSR 38d is 330)

> i8042: Can't read the CTR while initializing i8042

and I cannot carry on. I need to set up the server, ut everytime I try I get thosetwo errors.

Any suggestion?

Attached sequence when booting first time

4 REPLIES 4
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

These are well documented errors in the forums and ther eis also a customer advisory on the topic.  They are both just informational messages.

The first  [Firmware Bug]: the BIOS has corrupted hw-PMU resources (MSR 38d is 330) is a kernel message being generated as the hadware is reserving a performance counter which is used by the hardware to monitor system health.

The second is an additonal informational kernel message. The i8042 can't be initialized because there is not a PS/2 controller chip in the system.

These may be the only text you are seeing on the screen, but they are not the underlying cause of  your issue.   Try adding the 'nomodeset' option on your boot line.  What distribution and version of Linux are you attemtping to install?

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
MonicaG
Occasional Visitor

Thank you very much for your reply.

What I am trying to install is Windows server 2016.

I received the HP ProLiant ML30 Gen9 and the first thing I did was to tun ClearOS and then I´ve got the errors. I have not used the server yet because the installation doesn´t run because of the error and I don´t know how to proceed to avoid the errors and do the OS installation

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Those errors will show up during a Linux boot.  Not sure what part of the setup process you are in, but it appears it is past POST. ClearOS is a linux based OS.  During POST press F11 so you can tell the system to boot from your installation media, or press F10 to do your installation via the Intelligent Provisioning program

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
MonicaG
Occasional Visitor

ok, I will run the installation via the Intelligent Provisioning program.

Than you for your help