1751876 Members
5255 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML350 Gen9 High CPU Fan Speed

George Mandiliotis
Occasional Advisor

ML350 Gen9 High CPU Fan Speed

Hi, i have one ML350 Gen9 Server on a small shop and we are facing high Fan speed (and noise). Every few minutes the server's fans are running at high speed making the people working there feeling discomfortable.

The temperature of the system is relative low (from 23 to 46 degrees Celcious and the systems firmware is 2018-03 . I 'm aware of this article

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00008294es_es

but we have the newest controller firmware (6.60).

Any advice?

Thank you in advance, George

2 REPLIES 2
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Have you monitored the temperatures in iLO to see what sensor may be increasing the fan speed? What % are the fans shown to be operating at?  Is the sysem running any high load tasks?  A lot of variables can cause the fans to speed up

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
ShruthiSK
HPE Pro

Hi George, 

Greetings!

As per the ML350 Gen9 server user guide, the approved system inlet range is 5° to 40°C.

Hence requesting you to keep the server room in an ambient temperature less than 40°C itself. 

Secondly, please verify if the BIOS settings are changed to the Optimal Cooling option: 

1. From the System Utilities screen, select System Configuration>BIOS/Platform Configuration (RBSU)>Advanced Options>Fan and Thermal Options>Thermal Configuration and press Enter.
2. Select a setting and press Enter.
a. Optimal Cooling
—Provides the most efficient solution by configuring fan speeds to the minimum required to provide adequate cooling.
3. Press F10.

If the issue still persists then we would request you to log a case with the HPE Server Support team with the AHS logs so that they can do a detailed analysis on this and provide an action plan accordingly. 

Please reply for any further queries or concerns. 

Regards,
Shruthi (HPE Employee)

----------------

Was this helpful? Like this post by selecting the Kudos option below!

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo