ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: ML350e G8 - adding Graphics card causes fan speed to climb from 6-8% to 39% instantly

 
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

ML350e G8 - adding Graphics card causes fan speed to climb from 6-8% to 39% instantly

Are there any HP approved cards that wont cause this action?

 

I have tried gtx750  gtx 1080  and even an old GT9800...

 

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
HPE Pro

Re: ML350e G8 - adding Graphics card causes fan speed to climb from 6-8% to 39% instantly

My recommendation avoid using Unsupported Graphics card which can cause fan speed to ramp up.

HPE Approved card is NVIDIA Quadro K2000 PCIe Graphics Adapter (753959-B21)
Refer:
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c04441649
https://www.arp.com/medias/550bd842761596009563c01d.pdf

Along with that keep the server patched with latest "Service Pack for ProLiant" which will ensure BIOS, ILO firmware are uptodate.
Download link available here:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/km/product/5260585/Product?cc=us&lang=en#t=DriversandSoftware&sort=relevancy&layout=table&numberOfResults=25


I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Highlighted
Regular Advisor

Re: ML350e G8 - adding Graphics card causes fan speed to climb from 6-8% to 39% instantly


@Jazz_ISS wrote:

My recommendation avoid using Unsupported Graphics card which can cause fan speed to ramp up.

HPE Approved card is NVIDIA Quadro K2000 PCIe Graphics Adapter (753959-B21)
Refer:
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c04441649
https://www.arp.com/medias/550bd842761596009563c01d.pdf

Along with that keep the server patched with latest "Service Pack for ProLiant" which will ensure BIOS, ILO firmware are uptodate.
Download link available here:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/km/product/5260585/Product?cc=us&lang=en#t=DriversandSoftware&sort=relevancy&layout=table&numberOfResults=25


Good morning.

I am also interested in adding a graphics card to an ML110 G9, according to the specifications the compatible graphics card is a Quadro M2000.


Do you know if the fans increase the revolutions when incorporating these HP-tested cards?

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Re: ML350e G8 - adding Graphics card causes fan speed to climb from 6-8% to 39% instantly

Many thanks for taking the time to reply

I  am running iLO 2.73 and thought i was on latest system bios ( seemingly i am missing the A update from June '19)  - will update that right now.

 

Re the attached graphics card  - are there any newer / more capable cards that are approved?   I want to run Plex - so need something that can hardware transcode x265 

 

HPE Pro

Re: ML350e G8 - adding Graphics card causes fan speed to climb from 6-8% to 39% instantly

For ML110 G9 + Quadro M2000 there are no Fan speed related known issue reported to HPE so far provided your server is uptodate.
Note:
The NVIDIA Quadro modules are supported only on 64-bit versions of Linux and Windows operating systems as well as on Virtual Machine client operating systems.
The supported bare metal operating systems are RHEL6, SLES 11 and Windows Server 2012 R2.
Refer:
https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04545452#

In Addition if Thermal_Configuration is set to Optimal_Cooling in BIOS .Change the cooling mode to "Increased Cooling." and check the outcome.
Procedure:-
From the System Utilities screen, select System Configuration > BIOS/Platform Configuration(RBSU) > Advanced Options > Fan and Thermal Options > Thermal Configuration >Increased Cooling.

Last feel free to contact your HPE Sales team who will let you know whether any newer/ more capable cards are available for this servers.


I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Highlighted
Regular Advisor

Re: ML350e G8 - adding Graphics card causes fan speed to climb from 6-8% to 39% instantly


@Jazz_ISS wrote:

For ML110 G9 + Quadro M2000 there are no Fan speed related known issue reported to HPE so far provided your server is uptodate.
Note:
The NVIDIA Quadro modules are supported only on 64-bit versions of Linux and Windows operating systems as well as on Virtual Machine client operating systems.
The supported bare metal operating systems are RHEL6, SLES 11 and Windows Server 2012 R2.
Refer:
https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04545452#

In Addition if Thermal_Configuration is set to Optimal_Cooling in BIOS .Change the cooling mode to "Increased Cooling." and check the outcome.
Procedure:-
From the System Utilities screen, select System Configuration > BIOS/Platform Configuration(RBSU) > Advanced Options > Fan and Thermal Options > Thermal Configuration >Increased Cooling.

Last feel free to contact your HPE Sales team who will let you know whether any newer/ more capable cards are available for this servers.


The operating system I have installed is Windows Server 2016, which is listed as compatible in all the lists of this server, I do not think there is any problem that is not the 2012 R2 as the official document says.

Could you find out if there is any other compatible graphics card for the ML110 G9? I understand that it has been a long time since this server has had any hardware upgrades, and I have only stuck to the graphics card that the document indicated.

I have also read that access to the remote console is lost, but there is an option within the BIOS (something related to graphics, which I do not remember well) that can be changed so that both cards can coexist. Is it true? Thank you.

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Re: ML350e G8 - adding Graphics card causes fan speed to climb from 6-8% to 39% instantly

I found this:

 

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04123180

 

Appears to be a much more recent set of cards -  however they obviously havent been certified for G8 G9 - so i suspect it may be a case of  trial and error..

 

 

Highlighted
Regular Advisor

Re: ML350e G8 - adding Graphics card causes fan speed to climb from 6-8% to 39% instantly


@Redbaron1973 wrote:

Appears to be a much more recent set of cards -  however they obviously havent been certified for G8 G9 - so i suspect it may be a case of  trial and error..


You have already seen that that document cannot be applied to our servers who are from previous generations.

You have to take into account that we "can't" incorporate cards with a consumption higher than 75 W, because they should be fed with an additional connector. So we have to stick to the official documentation, or do a trial/error test with graphics cards.

I'm going to settle for the Quadro M2000 at the moment, I don't want to have problems like you have with the fan speed percentages, and other people have had the same thing happen to them.

Highlighted
HPE Pro

Re: ML350e G8 - adding Graphics card causes fan speed to climb from 6-8% to 39% instantly

I agree with you and your stateement makes sense.

I am aware of the recent cards but since I donot have any HPE document to check its compatibility with ML110 Gen9 I donot wish to comment on that part.


I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo