ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748254 Members
4066 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML350G4p w/Smart Array 641 install W2008x64 SP2 or R2 fails at load drivers for mass storage

Barefoot_Paul
Collector

ML350G4p w/Smart Array 641 install W2008x64 SP2 or R2 fails at load drivers for mass storage

I am trying to setup a test machine for myself (I am fairly new to system administration) on a retired ML350 G4p.  I have downloaded a Smartstart x64 8.4 (seemed to be near the last version that supported the this model) and used that to (attempt to) install Windows Server 2008 R2 and, when that failed, Server 2008 x64 SP2.  With both everything seemed to go okay until a reboot and a cmd line window pops up with:

x: \ windows \ sytem32> initialization wpeinit [this takes a minute or so]
x: \ windows \ system32> c: \ hpssbem.exe
The sytem can not find the drive specified.

I saw a "solution" on an HP forum from over a year ago, but it didn't help much.  To sum it up, it said to "disconnect all secondary (non-boot) storage to allow Windows Server 2008 to install to the intended Smart Array Controller storage. When the installation is complete, all secondary storage can be reconnected."  The 641 is in slot 3 and is the only PCI card.  The seems to be an onboard controller (I see SCSI CH1 and SCSI CH2), but they are not hooked up to anything.  There is a cable connected to SCSI CH1, but it terminates at a female jack on the back of the server.

I can get back into Windows setup by redirecting to the D: drive (DVD) and running setup, but get stopped at loading the driver for mass storage.  I have tried loading the 641 driver from HP's website, but the Windows install tells me it is not compatible with the hardware in the machine.

I welcome any suggestions/help you can give.

Thanks for you time,

Paul

1 REPLY 1
Eric Sommer

Re: ML350G4p w/Smart Array 641 install W2008x64 SP2 or R2 fails at load drivers for mass storage

Paul:

Did you ever get this resolved? I am in exactly the same boat.

Reading some of the docs, it appears that the ML350-G4 machines are not supported for SmartStart 8.4 and up

Trying to get hold of SS 8.2

Cheers