4639 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML350p Gen8 - Sata motherboard connector speeds

Palustec
Occasional Contributor

ML350p Gen8 - Sata motherboard connector speeds

Hello everyone,

There are 3 sata connectors on the server motherboard (one used by optical drive).   Can someone tell me if they are Sata II or Sata III???

I was disappointed to learn the p420i runs at Sata II with Sata drives attached instead of SAS.

TIA

Palustec

4 REPLIES 4
sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi,

As for my understanding embedded SATA ports are designated for the optical drives and it runs at SATA 1.5 speed.

also

HP Smart Array P420i Controller-Specification

Disk Drive and Enclosure
6 Gb/s SAS (Serial Attached SCSI)
Interface - Transfer rate
3 Gb/s SATA (Serial ATA)

FYI,

SATA I (revision 1.x) interface, formally known as SATA 1.5Gb/s, is the first generation SATA interface running at 1.5 Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 150MB/s.

SATA II
 (revision 2.x) interface, formally known as SATA 3Gb/s, is a second generation SATA interface running at 3.0 Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 300MB/s.

SATA III (revision 3.x) interface, formally known as SATA 6Gb/s, is a third generation SATA interface running at 6.0Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 600MB/s. This interface is backwards compatible with SATA 3 Gb/s interface.

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

FlostonParadise
Visitor

But in this

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c03243992

Disk drive and enclosure
6 Gb/s SAS (Serial Attached SCSI)
Interface - transfer rate
6 Gb/s SATA (Serial ATA)
rmay_bk
Valued Contributor

I once put an SSD on a Gen8 optical drive SATA port.  It silently corrupted quite a bit of data.

Not sure if it was just a faulty port or if having a high speed drive on this port is outside of HPE's design and test parameters.  Either way, be careful.

6BQ5
Frequent Advisor

My ATTO benchmark speeds on the SATA ports confirm a maximum speed of 150 MB/s.

Boris