ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752701 Members
6511 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML350p Processor Upgrade - Steps and parts?

SOLVED
Go to solution
DANDKS
HPE Pro

I hope the provided solution has helped you resolve the issue.

Kindly let me know if you have further queries  or the status.

Thank you

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
6BQ5
Frequent Advisor

@DANDKSOhhhhhh!!!

Thanks for the clarification! I thought I needed to add additional fans from the kit and I was wondering where in the world would they go. So, the previous owner of this server added fans for me. Nice!

I noticed HP uses different part numbers for the same item depending on where it is used. This fan has one part number when used in the CPU upgrade kit. It has another part when already installed in a system. A third part number is used to reference spares. Maybe HP did this thinking it would be easier to track how this part is used in different kits?

Now I have clarity on the path forward to upgrade the processors in my system.

Boris
6BQ5
Frequent Advisor

Replying with a positive update!

I discovered I could purchase the individual components separately cheaper than buying the whole official kit. This saved me a huge chunk of money!

It turns out I already had two 667268-001 heatsinks installed. The part number is on a sticker stuck on the side of the heatsink. I could have looked more carefully and seen it. Both sets of heatsinks come with two more different labels each. The original set's extra label says they are for the 2640 V2 processors and the new set's extra label says they are for 2630 processors. Otherwise, they are totally 100% the same with a 667266-001 labels.

Be sure to hold down the processor and heatsink when unlatching the heatsink. The heatsink will spring to one side after releasing one latch. Do not unscrew any of the four surrounding screws. They do not hold down the CPU or the heatsink.

I was lucky enough to find two 2697 V2 processors with the plastic carrier. The plastic carriers make installing the processor into the socket super easy. I remember upgrading my gaming rig from an i3-8300 to a monster i9-9900KS and being worried if I was placing the CPU properly. No such worry with the carrier.

I applied thermal paste to the CPU after locking down it down in the socket. The dangling latches got in the way of my spreader. With enough patience and love I got a smooth even coat. I suppose I could have applied paste to the CPU first and then slide it in ... but, I was afraid the paste would skim off the CPU as it slides into the socket latch. Another approach would be to apply paste to heatsink instead. This probably could work too but I always feel better seeing the paste on the CPU.

The server fired up like a demon flying out of hell! All the fans roared and drives roared to life!

All POST messages showed positive messages and both CPUs were properly detected. I noticed the QPI speed increased from 7.2 GT/s to 8.0 GT/s. Windows Server 2019 booted up normally. HWMonitor properly detected all 24 cores and 48 threads. BOINC also found all 48 threads. I ran Geekbench 5 and saw a very noticale jump in numbers.

Single core increased from 493 to 622 and multiple core increased from 6403 to 9405. Those are decently big jumps! The ML350p G8 gets a better multiple score speed than my i9-9900KS. Very, very, very impressive!

Overall performance and responsiveness subjectively feels better too. Windows desktop is noticably snappier and load times are shorter. Oh, and when running BOINC I see HWMonitor reports power consumption of 120 - 123 Watts on CPU1 and 112 - 116 Watts on CPU2. I noticed different wattages on the 2640 V2 processors as well. Processor temperatures are both at 72 - 74 degrees C.

This server may be two generations back but it is a kick-ass machine! Overall, I'm very, very happy with this performance and experience.

Boris