1748142 Members
3543 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Move raid array to matching Hp proliant ml350p gen8 server

ElectSys
Occasional Advisor

Move raid array to matching Hp proliant ml350p gen8 server

We upgraded an hp proliant ml350p gen8 server to ssd drives and changed from raid 5 to raid 10. Now we discovered we need data off the old drives. We got another hp proliant ml350p gen 8 server and put the drives from the old server into it. I updated the ilo4 to version 2.60 to match the old server. Intelligent Provisioning doesn't work, goes to 100% then the server restarts. Tried to run the IP recovery usb version 1.63 and it got to 80% and gave NVRAM error. I did the nvram reset, removed power, and reset nvram again. IP recovery still fails. Now bios gives ilo error. Got it booted to ACU from usb, the drives show up but I don't see any option to rebuild / repair  raid. I changed the boot to us the HP Smare Array p420i and entered raid configuration and it shows my drives, but no option for repair / rebuild.  Post says Drive array not configured. Drive Positions appear to have been changed. Run diagnostics in HP SSA or ACu if previous positions are unknown. Then turn system power off and move drives to original location. What is the best way to recover the data?

10 REPLIES 10
sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi @ElectSys ,

Put drives in proper order/position if you remember, then reboot and check.

however i believe still it should work even if you fogot the order/drive position considering Raid configuration stored on the drives are not corrupt.

Are you are getting following message on POST:

1724-Drive Array - Physical Drive Position Change(s) Detected

The logical drive configuration has been updated automatically following physical drive position changes.

If you get F1. prompt during post to enable the logical drive, press to enable and continue....it should be fine,

Or

enter into SSA and try to enable the logical drive if it discovered.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

ElectSys
Occasional Advisor

Yes, it gives physical drive position change detected and I have no way of knowing the original positions. Plus this is a different server then the drives came out of so I expect it's looking for the original raid array, even if these drives were in the same position as when I removed them from the production server. 

Slot 0 HP smart Array P420i Controller (1GB, v6.00) 0 Logical drives

1785- Slot ) Drive Array No Configured

Drive positions appear to have been changed. Run diagnostics in HP  Smart Storage Adminstration or ACU if previous postions are Unknown. I haven't been able to get SSA to work, and like I said previously, I don't see any option to repair it in ACU.

sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Boot with HP Service Pack (SPP) and try to access SSA. (You can use SPP 2017.04)

Hope this help!

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

ElectSys
Occasional Advisor

Can you provide me  a download link for SPP? Everything I find on hp site says the server needs to be under warranty or service pack agreement, which of course I don't have or want to purchase for a server that will only be used to recover the data from these drives.

ElectSys
Occasional Advisor

So I found an SPP image and used HP usb key to make a usb key, but when I try to boot from it, I get SYSLINUX 3.75 2009-04-16 EBIOS Copyrit 2004-2009 H. Peter Anvin et all

Could not find kernel image: linux

boot:_

ElectSys
Occasional Advisor

So i went into raid configuration rom utility, set to raid 5 and created logical drive. Now when I restart I don't have the drive mismatch error but I get Attempting boot from Hard drive (C:)

Missing operating system.

ElectSys
Occasional Advisor

@sudhirsingh Created a WinPE usb disk and booted from it. The RAID came up as drive but when I tried to read it from WinPE, the format was not recognizeable.

ElectSys
Occasional Advisor

I tried booting from the windows server 2008 sbs dvds to do a repair but it wont' boot from dvd drive, it just restarts. The dvd drive shows up in POST. And boot sequence is set to cd first. Even if I select F11, then cd drive, it still restarts. Doesn't even try to read the disc. Connected a brand new external usb dvd drive with same results. Whats the deal?

sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi,

Check again your CD/DVD is bootable or not.

however in your previous post you mentioned "..set to raid 5 and created logical drive"

Did you reconfigured array and logical drive ? if yes, i afraid your existing data is safe/accessible.

Did you configured excatly same way it was earlier ? Try installing OS without formating, check if it works for you.

Regards,

Sudhir

>Accept or Kudo