ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753705 Members
4884 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Moving RAID to another Proliant DL 380 G6 with smart array 410i and SAS 146Gb 10K

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Moving RAID to another Proliant DL 380 G6 with smart array 410i and SAS 146Gb 10K

Make sure both systems are at the same Smart Array firmware level. The firmware is backwards compatable, but if the system your moving the drive to has older firmware there is a good chance it will NOT recognise the array information on the drives.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Alex Geroulaitis
Respected Contributor

Re: Moving RAID to another Proliant DL 380 G6 with smart array 410i and SAS 146Gb 10K

Hm. I didn't find any "scan drives" function for RAID in the ACU. The system marks such drives as "wrong" and I couldn't do anything with them except deleting and recreating raid (and I lost all data).

On other controllers (ATTO R-series) it's part of the GUI, on HP controllers it seems to be part of CLI only: see "Re-enabling a failed logical drive" on page 55 of "HP Array Configuration UtilityUser Guide".

The behavior you are seeing is not standard: on my DL380G5 with a P400-series controller, I've taken RAID1 slices out, shelved them, put them back in at some point and the controller would recognize them.

The controller normally recognized an existing RAID set created on a controller of the same series with the exception of seriously outdated firmware (as the poster pointed out).  If you are not seeing that, flash it with the latest firmware, reset it to defaults, and test it for similar scenarios.  If it still misbehaves, possibly there is a problem with that controller.

Systems Administrator
(if my post was helpful, please "mark as a solution" or give "kudos" - thanks)
Goonner5
Occasional Visitor

Hi guys,

so did anybody manage to try it. I'm stuck with same question if drives from one server can be moved to another identical one and still the RAID can be recognised and maintained.

I have 2 ML350p Gen8, with identical Controllers and same FW Versions. One of them running VM.  

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Moving disks between identical servers works. Just make sure the controller firmware is the same and licences are installed. Move all disks, not only a few.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!