1748180 Members
4185 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NCU 10.20 Upgrade

Eric Datwyler
Frequent Advisor

NCU 10.20 Upgrade

I'm seeing a strange issue when upgrading the NCU from 10.10 to 10.20. See attached. When I upgrade to 10.20 without manually adding the VLANPromiscuous registry key before the upgrade, the install seems to add it as a DWORD instead of an SZ value. This NICs then end up stating "driver not loaded". I then delete this key and re-create it as an SZ value and the NICs work fine after rebooting.

Now, I tried something different on another server to test something. I manually added the VLANPromiscuous key as REG_SZ as stated in HP documentation before the upgrade. After the upgrade completed, the REG_SZ was still there but the NICs didn't work...."driver not started". I removed the registry key, rebooted and the NICs worked but crash when selecting the team in NCU "as documented by HP". I then re-added the VLANPromiscuous REG_SZ key, rebooted, and the NICs work fine.

Has anyone else seen this? What, specifically, does this VLANPromiscuous key do for servers without HyperV?
5 REPLIES 5
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Eric,

VLAN Promiscuous property allows a team to pass VLAN tagged packets between virtual machine and external networks only when there is no VLAN created on that team in the Host operating system. If a team is assigned to a virtual machine, the NCU disables the VLAN button to prevent VLANs from being created on the team in the host operating system. This property is available only on Windows 2008 x64/R2 and only when the Hyper-V role is installed.

check this out...
http://hyper-v.nu/blogs/hans/?p=326

hope this helps,

thanks,
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Eric Datwyler
Frequent Advisor

OK, that definition of the VLANPromiscuous property makes sense but I have about 50 Windows 2008 R2 server WITHOUT HyperV and this registry key is affecting all of them. I upgrade to 10.20 of the NCU and 6.0.60 of the NC532i and the VLANPromiscuous reg value is created as a REG_DWORD as shown in the screenshot of my previous post. The way to fix it was to delete this value and re-create it as a REG_SZ type.

So, why is this effecting non-HyperV machines so much?
Eric Datwyler
Frequent Advisor

Anyone? Anyone?
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Eric,

I'm also waiting if someone has something to add about these registry values which generally should not impact non-hyper v environment...

by any chance did you log any case with HP... what is their feedback?

thanks
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Eric Datwyler
Frequent Advisor

I have contacted HP support and they said to re-create the team on each server. This just isn't feasible with 50+ servers all with static IP information and VLAN information configured. Is anyone else seeing this?