ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748183 Members
3728 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Need assistance in selecting which ESXi 5.1 Update 1 is suitable for HP DL 380 G5, 6 and 7 servers ?

Server-Support
Super Advisor

Need assistance in selecting which ESXi 5.1 Update 1 is suitable for HP DL 380 G5, 6 and 7 servers ?

Hi People,

Can anyone please suggest me which ESXi 5.1 Update 1 (the latest as t I'm writing) ISO image that I need to use in order to safely upgrade the current ESX 4.1 safely without any issue ?

I have various HP DL 380 G5, 6 and 7 servers running VMware ESX 4.1, I need to do the upgrade to 5.1 Update 1 but neds some help.

Is there any Firmware upgrade that I need to do first ?

Best regards,
3 REPLIES 3
dupre299
Advisor

Re: Need assistance in selecting which ESXi 5.1 Update 1 is suitable for HP DL 380 G5, 6 and 7 serve

I would run the HP September 10 SPP first and do all FW updates before deployed ESX 5.1

Second - why not go to ESX 5.5? It will be better for you.

Third - google on how to add VIBs from the HP VIB Depot to an Offline ESXi Image  - download the Offline ESXi 5.5 image (not the standard ISO) and use the PowerShell CMDLETs from the VSphere 5.5 client to connect to your image (locally) and add VIBS from the HP VIB depot. This will give you the latest/greatest ISO (PowerShell commands from VSPhere you can run can export the image you build to ISO format that is bootable) - more updated than the HP OEM ESX or the VMWare provided ESX ISO images. You can even connect tot he VMWare VIB depot and get VIBs that are updated like the kernel that are more updated than in the ISO.

Server-Support
Super Advisor

Re: Need assistance in selecting which ESXi 5.1 Update 1 is suitable for HP DL 380 G5, 6 and 7 serve

dupre,

As at now, the ESXi 5.5 is not released yet ?

What am I adding into the HP Custom ISO image VMware-ESXi-5.1.0-Update1-1065491-HP-5.50.26.iso ?

Because I'm not sure how it behave without the custom VIB installation.

Best regards,
ssantosh78

ESXi 5.5 is released & its very stable. I am using it from last two weeks no issues so far. I have upgraded my ESXi 5.1 U1  to 5.5 without any issues.

You can try below guides,

http://www.vmwareandme.com/2013/10/how-to-upgrade-esxi-51-to-55.html

http://www.vmwareandme.com/2013/10/step-by-step-guide-upgrading-to-esxi-55.html