ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748060 Members
5553 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Need "power on hours" stats for drives (DL380-G7)

pjk0
Advisor

Need "power on hours" stats for drives (DL380-G7)

When I recently setup a new array on this server I used some tool that displayed the "power on hours" for all the installed (SFF) drives. I don't remember which tool I used but it was either embedded or something I already had.

Now, no matter what I do I cannot find a way to display this. I have tried iLO, I have tried RBSU/BIOS ACU, I have tried the bootable offline ACU, I have tried the ACU included on SmartStart.

The BIOS utility and iLO do not seem to offer this stat. The ACU does (if you create a diagnostic report), but it shows all the drives power-on hours as "0x0000", which is obviously incorrect.

I am running ESXi 5.5 on this box and the hpssacli doesn't support this statistic directly, nor does it support creating a diag report either via console or SSH, it requires the external SSADU tool to be installed along with the VMware ESXCLI. 

Before I go through all that just to discover that I'm still getting "0x0000" results, can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here? I spent the better part of a day trying to find a way to query this parameter that I once was able to see.

TIA

2 REPLIES 2
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Need "power on hours" stats for drives (DL380-G7)

smartctl will show power on time, not sure if that is a utilty included with ESXi

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
pjk0
Advisor

Re: Need "power on hours" stats for drives (DL380-G7)

@Jimmy Vance wrote:

smartctl will show power on time, not sure if that is a utilty included with ESXi

It appears that the CCISS driver does not pass that information through to smartctl - see attached screenshot.

And I know I shouldn't require that anyway because I know I have been able to see this information in the past on the same server using a tool I already had. (Either embedded on the server hardware itself or eg VMware VIclient or iLO or  smartstart etc.)

I tried the Offline ACU tool on 2 other servers (another DL380-G7 and a DL380-G5) and it shows all zeroes for the "power on hours" parameter on both of those too. So that tool is clearly useless for this. :)

VIclient only shows summary "health" info on the drives, no details like this.

This is starting to really drive me nuts...