108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Need To Update Firmware with no OS in place

SOLVED
Go to solution
JacobbS
Occasional Visitor

Need To Update Firmware with no OS in place

So here is my issue.  I have been charged with setting up a new ( Used ) HP ProLiant DL 360 G5 for our server system. I have a brand new copy of server 2008 which is the OS we want to use.  Before the install is completed I get the Blue Screen with the error message that I need to upgrade my firmware.  I have found and downloaded the firmware update onto my USB drive and now I need to get it onto the blade.  Any useful information would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
TVVJ
HPE Pro
Solution

Download the HP Service Pack for ProLiant from the following link:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121486&swItem=MTX-4419f014d3894b13bb0b1c353c&prodNameId=3288144&swEnvOID=4064&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=1

From the ISO image make a bootable DVD, instructions found under tab тАЬInstallation InstructionsтАЭ, and boot the server from the DVD and following the offline mode to update the firmware of all the server components.

After updating the firmware install the operating system. Once the operating system has been installed, use HP Service Pack for ProLiant to update the ProLiant Support Pack.

You may also review the guided troubleshooting on this topic, accessible at this link:

http://h20584.www2.hp.com/hpgt/guides/select?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=5104018

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

KimO_1
Advisor

There are several resources to help you:

1) SPP documentation page (www.hp.com/go/spp/documentation) - There is FW Best Practices documentation there.

2) Smart Update video page (www.hp.com/go/SmartUpdate/video) - There are several videos related to planning and performing FW updates in several different scenarios.
I work for HP.
ernst limbrunner
Trusted Contributor

hi

the SPP is the right stuff for you.

if you download the HP USB KEY UTILITY you can create a bootable USB key and boot

the SPP from the stick

why burn a DVD ??

best regards

ernesto