108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: New Drives added Error maybe??

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rick_119
Frequent Advisor

New Drives added Error maybe??

Hi all, I finnaly got my 2x1 drive cage installed with 2 72 gig drives. I used the ACU to create a new array & logical drive, I used disk manager to create the drive (F Drive)
and formatted it, all is well I have moved dat to and from it.

Only problem is this.. on the front of those two drives the furthest to the right light is lit solid red (It is the light that flashes when in ACU mode)

I am not in ACU mode and the drive work great, my only though is that these are SCSI 3 drives and the controller does not support these in SCSI 3 mode??

ANy idea's, they do work fine though so I assume they are operational.
7 REPLIES 7
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor
Solution

1. What Proliant server is this?

2. What RAID array controller are the drives attached to?

3. Was the server configured before adding the 2x1 drive cage? If so, how?
Rick_119
Frequent Advisor

Sorry,

1. it is a DL380 733

2. the controller is the integrated one that comes with it. Sorry don't know the part number

3. Yes the server was operating with 2 36 gig drives in slot 2&3 as 1 array and 2 18 gig drives in slot 0&1 as another array

I think the problem is that the 2x1 drive cage is an Ultra2 drive cage and these are ultra 3 drives. They work but it is just the light that I want to find out if it is for sure because the 2x1 drive cage is Ultra2 and the drives are Ultra3

Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Are all of the drives running off the same scsi bus? This drive cage is not meant to be used in a duplex configuration.

I've seen this (leds producting odd results) happen with this drive cage if it's not configured correctly
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Rick_119
Frequent Advisor

Yes the drive cage is on the same SCSI cable as the other drive cage, I was told this is the way to install it by the compaq info, the cage comes with a small short cable, you take the scsi cable off the 1x4 cage and attach it to the bottom of the 1x2 cage then use the short cable to attach it to the top of the 1x2 cage then over to the 1x4 cage.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

This drive cage can be used with U2 and U3 drives. This will not be causing the LED to come on.

If you go into the Array Configuration Utility is it complaining about a drive failure? If it is, then it's likely a real failure. If not then it may be a problem with the LED on the backplane of the drive cage.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Rick_119
Frequent Advisor

The ACU reports all is fine, so I guess I can look into the LED being an issue.

I will let you guys know what I find.

Rick_119
Frequent Advisor

Terry thanks for the further info on the U2 and U3 being supported, I deleted the drive and the array and added them again, still same problem, do you guys think this is something I should return the cage for?? Or to me it seems cosmetic and the drives are working fine, my boss just seems concerned that the lights are lit.

Thanks all

Rick