1752806 Members
5764 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: New server builds

nasium
Occasional Visitor

New server builds

It's been awhile since I have built physical servers so I thought I would reach out to the community for some advice.

I've been asked to build the following:

Server 1  HP-DL360 G10 4110 with 3 2TB SAS   Build as RAID 5 with Windows Server 2012 and 100GB OS partion Just a file server.  

Server 2 HP-DL360 G10 4110 with 1  1 TB SAS  Build as RAID 1 with Windows Server 2008 and 100GB OS partion this is a DC.

What are the steps for setting up these servers?  I beleive they will come with an HP CD, is it just a matter of inserting that and booting the server?  I have the Windows CD media ready.  

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

You can boot and install from the OS media, or press F10 during POST to use the  Intelligent Provisioning tools to assist with the installation.  Server 2008 is not supported on Gen10 servers

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
nasium
Occasional Visitor

Many thanks Jimmy.  So far I've been successful installing RAID 5 using Intelligent Provisioning tools.  I'm a llittle cocerned about what you said about Gen10 not supporting Server 2008.  Could you explain further so I can present this to my boss? I just read that on the Gen9 servers Server 2008 would work if you disable the UEFI.  If this is true, does it work for the Gen10 servers?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Please look at the certification matrix

http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/windows.aspx

Serve 2008 R2 is supported on Gen9. If I recall there was one UEFI setting you had to disable for 2008 R2 to function properly., I think it was UEFI Optimized Boot.  Server 2008 isn't listed for Gen9 either

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
nasium
Occasional Visitor

We happen to have an GEN9 on hand going to try an install Server 2008 on it.  Thanks for your help!