New Discussion

Re: NVMe on a DL380p G8

SOLVED
Go to solution
humroben
Occasional Collector

NVMe on a DL380p G8

Hello,

I've recently installed an NVMe drive onto a PCI-e adaptor, and installed it into a Dell R610, which is older than a Gen8 DL380p. This worked, using a USB to boot from and the NVMe drive for the OS.

I've attempted to do the same on the HP server, but I've hit a snag. The PCI-e device is not being detected... at all. Is it possible that I need to appy a BIOS update, or some firmware in order for the server to detect the drive. I've attached an Image of the SSD in the x16 PCI-e slot.

Any help with getting the drive the be detected by the server, would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Rohan

4 REPLIES 4
humroben
Occasional Collector
Solution

Ignore this, looks like the drive I had ordered had a capacitor installed the wrong way round, and so need to return it. Test with a different drive (same make/model) and that works just fine.

Markus Angerer
Occasional Contributor

Was there anything else you had to do? Like enable/activate the NVMe SSD in the Bios? I have a similar issue: SSD is recognized but the Windows installation says it can be installed because the disk is not enabled in the BIOS. I can use it when installing and booting from a different disk.

Now I am unsure if I have a NVMe/PCIe adapter that simply does not work with the Proliant and I should get a replacement or if I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance, Markus

WardenSirpa
Established Member

Did you have any luck getting a Nvme drive to boot on your G8 server?
Sunitha_Mod

Hello @WardenSirpa

Thank you for posting! Since you have posted in an old topic and there is no response yet, I would recommend you to create a new topic using the create "New Discussion" button, so the experts can check and help you further. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo