5656 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Port 84/85

juan quesada
Respected Contributor

Port 84/85

Hi,

I'm looking for more information about the PORT 84/ 85 LEDтАЩs located in the system board on most of the 300-500-700 series (some 500 and 700 series have a LED display like the dl580 g5 and dl785 g5)
As an example of what IтАЩm talking about is http://docs.hp.com/en/AH233-9002A/ch04s14.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
, extremely helpful when TS a No POST no video condition.

On the 300 series like dl365, dl380 g5 and ml350 g5 (IтАЩm currently working with them) have this port 85 near to the system maintenance switch. They are 8 LEDтАЩs from LSB to MSB ( most significant to lest significant bit) .
I havenтАЩt been able to read them because I donтАЩt know how to, are they in base-2 or in gray binary code? Or is there any especial way to read them?
Also I read that switch 7 and 8 from system maintenance switch must be set to ON, is this correct or is there other dip SW configuration needed?

Something important to mentioned is that, ILO LEDтАЩs, are only for ILO boot up process, this is not what I need. I need the wants, like the dl580 g5тАЩs display, that shows HW failures, like the following ones.

тАв Port 85 code Description

тИТ 3xh Port 85 codes in this format indicate processor-related errors.
тАв
тИТ 4xh Port 85 codes in this format indicate memory-related errors.
тАв
тИТ 6xh Port 85 codes in this format indicate expansion board-related errors.
тАв
All other codes, including 00h, 01h, and 5xh Port 85 codes in this range cover several areas

Please advice if possible.

Thanks in advance,

[Moderator edit: Removed the broken link.]

9 REPLIES 9
HP User 1990
Occasional Advisor

Do you still need information on this? The LEDs are simply in binary form. LED On = 1, LED Off = 0.

If the LEDs were OFF, OFF, ON, OFF, ON, ON, ON, ON, then the Hexidecimal value is 2Fh.

Does that tell you how to interpret the LEDs for systems whose Port 84/85 LEDs are 8 discrete LEDs rather than a 7-segment display.

Also, was there a specific code value you were interested in having information on?
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

I'd like to know the codes of port 84 too. Eight LED's 256 possibilities.... is there a list of what they mean?

Chris

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Get the guide named "HP ProLiant Servers
Troubleshooting Guide" and read the section "Port 85 codes and iLO messages".

For ILO related LED decoding get the ILO user guide and read the chapter "iLO x POST LED indicators" .

Here you can decode the 8 LEDs.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
TJB1337

Get the guide named "HP ProLiant Servers
Troubleshooting Guide" and read the section "Port 85 codes and iLO messages".

For ILO related LED decoding get the ILO user guide and read the chapter "iLO x POST LED indicators" .

Here you can decode the 8 LEDs.

Following this was helpfully. An issue I am running into DL385 G6 is the LEDs are labeled 01234567. Not 1234567HB. applying the Idea that 0 = 1 and so on, the codes still did not match. I swapped and thought it was messed up and that 7 = 1 and still did not match. the information in http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c00300504 and https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=c03351063  do not seem to match. The code was 

• 0_1_2_3_4_5_6_7
  • 0_1_0_1_0_0_0_1

I removed all "extra Items" per page 16 and now have:

• 0_1_2_3_4_5_6_7
  • 0_0_0_1_1_0_1_0

Wanted to know anyone's thoughts as to the documentation. 

[Moderator edit: Removed the broken link. Please refer to https://support.hpe.com/]

ColdBlade
Occasional Visitor

I got Port 84:

• 7_6_5_4_3_2_1_0
  • 1_0_0_0_0_0_0_0

What this mean?

System not powering up, its a DL380p Gen8

Tom16
Occasional Visitor

Hi there,

I have the same problem with DL385 G7. After check CPU, RAM, Temperature booting not continue. Port 84 blinking on position 7. Did you lucky with resolution?

I tried unplug everything except 1xCPU and 1xRAM, not helped. Update iLO to up to date not helped. Exchange cmos battery or reset CMOS not helped.

Tom16
Occasional Visitor

Additional information:

According manual "HP ProLiant Gen8 Troubleshooting Guide" https://downloads.avaya.com/css/P8/documents/100175239 on the page 98 is a code 84 a just one part "major" and after switched pin S7 and S8 is code 85 a second part "minor".

System Maintenance Switch 8 System Maintenance Switch 7 POST LED display
OFF OFF Major Code
ON OFF Minor Code

Modou

Hello,
Were you able to find a fix to this issue?
I'm having exactly the same issue.

Thank you
Sunitha_Mod

Hello @Modou

Thank you for posting! Since you have posted in an old topic and there is no response yet, I would recommend you create a new topic using the create "New Discussion" button, so the experts can check and assist you further. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo