4294 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion ī„‚

Re: Procedure on how to Hot swap Drive HP Proliant DL380 G7 server

jade1
Visitor

Procedure on how to Hot swap Drive HP Proliant DL380 G7 server

Hi everyone,

Please advise i have a HP ProLiant DL380 G7 with 3 hard drives running in Logical Drive 2 RAID 5
I'm getting some errors of one of my hard drives as i run the Hpdiags.
Logical Drive 2, 1.2 TB, Raid 5

This hard drive is reporting this error:

Hard Drive 6, 600.1 GB, 10k RPM, SAS, HP EG0600FBDBU
Failed
Error: F149:     The controller has reported a S.M.A.R.T. error on this drive.
Error: F134:     The drive has reported a drive self test (DST) error.
Error: F151:      The monitor and performance logs indicate that the drive returned a status of bad hardware.
Error: F152:      The monitor and performance logs indicate a format (remapping defects) status.
Error: F153:      The monitor and performance logs indicate that the drive returned a status of predictive failure.
Error: F155:      The read/write hard error rate recorded in the monitor and performance log is above the acceptable threshold.
Error: F157:      The controller has reported a critical error in the drive error log.

As i observed there is one hard drive flashing amber light repeatedly in the server rack, i have a doubt that this is the failed hard drive reporting this error. What would be the procedure upon replacing the drive, do i need to do some console or clone the faulty one to the new drive? or just replace it rightaway with the newer one, as i've been searching online the procedure is showing on how to remove and replace with a newer one hotswapping.

Please advise

Many thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

swaping a drive is hot swap but you need to make sure you are swaping the right drive

if your server is runing windows run smart storage administrator from windows and check.

if you are runing VMware you can run command line to the controller or restart the server 

and boot from SPP and run smart storage administrator.

Regards

Give a KUDO if this helps

jade1
Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for your help, i was able to locate the faulty drive. I also have the new HD for replacement with exactly the same with the faulty one(Spare #), should i proceed on removing the HD rightaway and replace with the new one? would it be rebuilding it self after replacing?

Thanks,

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

you can replace the faulty drive

it should start rebuliding by itself check

in smart storage administrator or you can see all

green LEDs on all drives start flashing.

Regards