108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 5000 video

SOLVED
Go to solution
Liam_9
Occasional Advisor

Proliant 5000 video

I have a Compaq Proliant 5000 running Windows 2000. The identified video card is a Cirrus Logic 64xx/542x which loading newer drivers makes no difference to. It is limited to 3 resolutions, and 16 or 256 colours.
In an attempt to improve this, I have tried fitting a Matrox Mystique 220 PCI graphics card. When this card is in place, I get no video output at all, whether the monitor is connected to this card, or the onboard one. The server appears, by lights and sounds, to be starting up but I just get no display.
The only PCI slot I have tried using is the one on the furthest left of the motherboard, (It's a rack-mount), as the others are populated. Would swopping cards about do any good? If anyone has any ideas, I'd be really grateful to hear them.
Thanks very much, Liam
8 REPLIES 8
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Liam,

Have you tried upgrading the system BIOS and the proliant support pack for the server to the latest version while using ur Cirrus Video card?

Regards,
Liam_9
Occasional Advisor

Hi Saket,
thanks for the quick reply.
I have to say, I have not tried that yet. I am not at all familiar with these computers and haven't had it for long. I did get a download for a BIOS update from the HP website at the time I was getting the System Configuration and Drive Array downloads, but when I tried putting everything together I just decided that it must have the System Partition INSTEAD of a BIOS! Any further advice on where to start on that one would be really appreciated!
I have got the downloads for the last few service packs (the computer is located in work, and it's a Bank Holiday weekend here, which is why I'm not trying it at the moment) and I haven't tried them yet because I'm sure I read somewhere that they updated an ATI Rage video card. After seeing that, I located what seemed to be the correct driver by itself but when running the installation program, it said it wasn't needed. I did hit on the idea of changing the card, but....
I will try installing the Service Pack on Tuesday morning, and I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again.
Cheers, Liam
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Liam,
Are you running any remote utility on the server e.g. PC ANYWHERE etc.?? If yes then uninstall the remote software and reapply the video drivers from the latest support pack. Once that is done then you can reinstall the remote software. As advised in the previous post it's always advisable to upgrade the system bios and other related support pack.

Regards,
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Liam,

A couple of points below:
1. You should upgrade your system BIOS (this is independent to your system partition)

To download the latest system BIOS for proliant 5000 running Windows 2000 and proliant support packs, click on the link below:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_1109.html#49

Under "BIOS System Rom" heading in the above page, download the relevant file.In the download page, you should find really simple installation instructions (any problems with that, just ask here!) Under "Sofware - Support Pack", you should similarly find the support pack for the server.

Further down on the same page, you should see the latest ATI Video card drivers too.

Another option to scan for latest Microsoft drivers would be to perform a windows update on the box by typing http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and then select "Drivers" and see what Microsoft thinks are relevant for hardware installed on your server.

Hope, this is of help and please do not forget to assign points to the replies.

Regards,

Liam_9
Occasional Advisor

Hi Sunil and Saket,
thanks for your replies.
I do not any remote utility software on the machine. I am using it purely as a stand alone machine, and do not even have an interet connection, unfortunately. I will have to arrange something there, I think, to try the Microsoft update.
Saket, I have got everything I think I need, and will try it out tomorrow!
Please note that if I don't reply back for a couple of days, it will only be because I've been too busy to get to it. I will definitly let you know how I get on.
Thanks for your help.
Cheers, Liam
Keith Jefferson

Liam,

I, have several Compaq Proliant 5000's and have played with these machines extensively.

The limited resolution of the onboard Cirrus Logic video card is a "feature" not a bug. There just isn't enough onboard RAM to do much more. In addition, you'll find the display in any 256 color mode to be annoyingly erratic.

I have, however, successfully added PCI video cards to these machines without a hitch. First thing, like everyone has told you, update the BIOS. Secondly (and I'll assume this is a step you left out since you didn't mention it) you need to locate a bank of dipswitches on the mainboard.

I have towers (as opposed to your rackmount) and they are located close to the keyboard connectors. In any event, you'll need to toggle the first switch in this bank to the "OFF" position to disable to onboard video. If you haven't already done this, it should solve your problem.
Liam_9
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
thanks for your reply, Keith. I was just letting Saket know how I'd got on today, and you have just confirmed what I was starting to realise....that 256 colours was it!
What made me suspect, was the fact that, while hunting for drivers, one page mentioned that this card was counted as Legacy when Windows 95 came out! It's obviously older than I realised. Presumably newer ones have the ATI RageII cards that the Service Pack updates?
Anyway, I did manage to get some time on the machine today. While it is located in work, it is purely a personal project and I can't really give it the attention I would like to. I had downloaded the BIOS update, and already had the Service Pack. Unfortunately, I have to do the downloading at home, and take everything in, and I had put the BIOS update on a floppy disk. When I put it in the Proliant, it wouldn't read it. I'm trying again with it on a CD tomorrow.
I did install the Service Pack, which came up with an error about not needing the ATI RageII driver. I also had a play about with video drivers, and at one point Windows 2000 redetected the card by itself as a 3Dfx Banshee, or something! Needless to say, nothing worked.
Keith, obviously I still need to update the BIOS, but I have tried disabling that video dip-switch, and it didn't make any difference. I had a look around the system partition today, too. Does anything need changing in there? And also, is the BIOS actually accesible like on a PC, and if so, how?
You're not kidding about the display being erratic, but the fact that you've changed your card means there's hope in sight.
Many thanks for your help.
Cheers, Liam
Liam_9
Occasional Advisor

Hi all,
well, here's how it went.... the BIOS was already on the current download version and just for the sake of doing something different, I swopped the slots of the Matrox card with an IDE controller. And it worked!
I still can't play DVDs in the drive connected to the IDE controller -2 different programs keep saying they are generating errors and logfiles- but I can get 32bit colour!
Thanks very much for everyones help and support.
Cheers, Liam