New Discussion

Proliant DL 380 G5 after swap rebuild and then failed

skyerjoe
Occasional Advisor

Proliant DL 380 G5 after swap rebuild and then failed

Hardware: Pro Liant dl 380 g5

Raid 5 with spare Disk 

Hello Everybody 

We had some Problems with our Pro Liant.

We had 2 Hard Disks which are shows an Error (Predictive Failure), but the System still running Fine.

Yesterday i want to check if the error comes from the Slot  Bays on the Server.

So i switched an hard drive and waiting for rebuild on the vsphere client screen.

After the rebuild everything seems normal and after few minutes it shows the same error  on another Hardrive.

So the Drives with errors are 3 and then it shows the the Raid Fails. 

Then i got the advice to restart the esxi and reenable the logic drive that may he recovering itself again.

So after i did this, the esxi shows alle hard drive in the Datastore and everything seems fine.

But when i tried to start the vm it comes an Error. And if i try to create a new storage he doesn't show any volume.

so i tried to get on the esxi console to list the volumes: 

esxcfg-volume -l

But he shows nothing.

The only Solution which comes in my mind as well as the last one is to recreate the  Array with hpsmart start. Fortunately we had made an Backup from the vm's ( methode type:  download the folder from the datastore)

I know that the Issue affectes also the vmware software. But if somebody is familar with all, any help will be great.

best regards 

skyerjoe 

1 REPLY 1
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant DL 380 G5 after swap rebuild and then failed

You should run ACU to see the true status of your RAID disks and logical volumes. Then you decide what needs to be done.

If you recreate the arrays and restore, the predictive failure feature might disable the drives again.