New Discussion

Re: ProLiant DL360 G7 not responding after ILO upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
dbutch19761
Frequent Visitor

ProLiant DL360 G7 not responding after ILO upgrade

Hello,

I am required to support some very old hardware that has not had its firmware upgraded in a long time. Because the iLo firmware so so old I needed to use firefox portable in order to connect to the iLO, HTML5 browsers would give cipher/TLS/security errors and not connect. Although I could connect to the iLO I still couldn't connect to the console or mount ISO's, so it was almost useless in that state.

I upgrade the iLO on a host using ilo3_194.bin which was the highest level firmware available for for iLO3. The upgrade appeared to complete and kicked me out apparently to reboot, however afterwards I could no longer connect using any browser. I am still able to connect using RSBU, but I can't see any options which might help get the iLO to start responding. 

We performed the following factory reset on the iLO:

Resetting iLO to the factory default settings by using iLO RBSU
1. Restart or power on the server.
2. Press F8 when prompted during POST.
iLO RBSU starts.
3. Select FileSet Defaults.
iLO RBSU prompts you to confirm the request.
4. Press F10 to continue.
iLO RBSU displays the following message:
After setting to factory defaults, iLO 3 will be reset and this utility will exit.
5. Press Enter.
iLO resets and the server boot process finishes.

Unfortunately I still cannot connect over HTML5, I am able to connect using the firefox portable browser, however it just loads a blank screen, I can't login or do anything. 

I can ssh into the RSBU, but I'm not sure what to do from here. Is there a way to confirm that the firmware update was successful from here? Should flashing the iLO using ilo3_194.bin allow me to connect with an HTML5 browser?

9 REPLIES 9
shuff
Valued Contributor

maybe you can clear your browser cache and try connecting

support_s
System Recommended

Query: ProLiant DL360 G7 not responding after ILO upgrade

System recommended content:

1. HPE iLO 5 3.03 User Guide | (Optional) Upgrading firmware on management processors (HPLOMIG)

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

dbutch19761
Frequent Visitor

I have cleared the browser cache, no change. I have noticed different behaviour using different browsers. I downloaded Firefox portable 43 and it actually connected and allowed me to log in, however, everything I click on just comes up blank.
If a downlevel browser works, then my question is this:
Does iLO3 support HTML5 browsers?

dbutch19761
Frequent Visitor

Re: Query: ProLiant DL360 G7 not responding after ILO upgrade

This server uses iLO3, the user guide appears to be for iLO5.

dbutch19761
Frequent Visitor

I have found the following URL:
Guide on updating old iLO 3 versions to a more current one · GitHub
Which seems to indicate the following:

Even after upgrading, getting the error ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH when trying to connect with a modern browser (e.g. happening with Chrome 94 at the time of writing)
this is not solvable anymore, the best TLS version iLO 3 can offer is TLS v1.1 that is deprecated and disabled in all modern browsers

So in other words, there is no way for me to access the console for this server via the iLO?

ManBha
HPE Pro

Hello,

Hope this helps:
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00046115en_us

Please do re-configure iLO: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00044674en_us

Thanks.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @dbutch19761,

Let us know if you were able to resolve the issue.

If you have no further query and you are satisfied with the answer then kindly mark the topic as Solved so that it is helpful for all community members.

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
dbutch19761
Frequent Visitor
Solution

Hello,

Yes I was able to resolve this issue. I deployed a Windows 2012 R2 VM and did not apply any patches to it. Out of the box IE was able to connect to both the iLO3 and even the iLO2 legacy devices we still have. I had to install some plugins, but this was automatic when I attempted to connect.

Hope this helps someone, I was tearing my hair out.

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @dbutch19761,

That's Excellent! We are extremely glad to know you were able to find the solution and we appreciate you for keeping us updated. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo