5501 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ProLiant DL360 G7 turns OFF after ~ 1 hour

Pinky_fly
Occasional Contributor

ProLiant DL360 G7 turns OFF after ~ 1 hour

Hi there,

since 4-5 Days I expericence an issue with my ProLiant DL360 G7. The Server turns OFF without beeing shut down.

The iLO Event-Log says:

Informational iLO 3 02/02/2019 14:13 02/02/2019 14:13 1 Server power restored. 1691  Caution iLO 3 02/02/2019 14:13 02/02/2019 14:13 1 Server reset.

For some reason the Server gets "reset". I have no clue why this should happen, we haven't changed anything to the servers configuration.

The temparatures are fine, the Power is fine aswell. Redundant and stable. But the Server turns off after about an hour.  It is not exactly an hour and the time period is not exactly the same each time it turns off. Sometimes the serve turns off after ~55 min and sometimes after 74 minutes or something like that.

Can anybody help how to find out whats going on there?

Best regards

Pinky

6 REPLIES 6
ronissac
Trusted Contributor

Hi , 

The front panel Power On/Standby button does not completely shut off system power. Portions of the power supply and some internal circuitry remain active until AC power is removed.

Press the Power On/Standby button to place the server in standby mode. When the server activates
standby power mode, the system power LED changes to amber.

To completely power down the server, Please disconnect the Power cords

Reference :

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=4091408&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c02065150

Page 14

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!

Regards

Ronny

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
ronissac
Trusted Contributor

Hi ,

Please let know if you had any further queries. 

This will help for everyone who are all following your forum.
If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!

Regards 

Ronny

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Pinky_fly
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ronny,

thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunatelly it did not help in any kind. Maybe you got me wrong, so let me explain again a bit more detailed.

The Problem is NOT how to turn the server off. I know how that works and I am well aware of the function of the green/amber bulb. When shutting the Server down, this works fine without any circumstances.

The Problem is:

From time to time, the server turns off by itself! While nobody is working on it or nothing specially happens with the Server, the Server just turns off (and stays off)

Please refer to the ILO Logs that I posted above. These Logs document what happened at these times.

I though that a BIOS Update could help and Updated. After the update I had no Problems for a few days - now the Server was killed again -same log entries.

Server reset
Serverpower restored.

As I already mentioned above, everything is fine with the Server, Power, Temperature, Mentality, Religion or anything else. I have no clue why the System kills itself from time to time.

Any hints?

Best regards

Pinky

ronissac
Trusted Contributor

Hi pinky , 

if the server is shutting down abruptly we will need to run diagnostics and check the hardware functionality.

Kindly log a support ticket with HPE for further analysis

Regards

Ronny

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Pinky_fly
Occasional Contributor

The HPE Support Ticket center requieres to enter a warranty-id. I don't have any, so I am not able to create a ticket there.

Pinky_fly
Occasional Contributor

Some additional hints:

I just removed one power supply to be sure, that it is not one of the powersupplys that is faulty. So i removed one and started the server in non-redundant mode. The Server got killed anyway. Afterwards I removed the other one and tried the same. Killed aswell.

So I guess, the power supplies are fine and not causing the issue.

But:

I found out:

When I remove a powersupply and start the server, the Server needs some instructions how to start. (Press F1 and just start for example)

I missed that dialog a few times for a few hours. The server did not get killed in this period. After pressing F1, Windows Boots and more or less one hour later the machine is dead again.

? wtf?

Is this Windows related?

Are there any diagnostic tools that I could download to find out where exactly the error comes from and how to fix it? Maybe any hardware-part that I can change or software to update. I read across other posts in here, that there is  such a diagnostic-tool that can help and that can be downloaded from anywhere. Has anybody got a link?

Best regards

Pinky