ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748169 Members
4169 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion ī„‚

Re: ProLiant DL360 Gen10 with Smart Array P408i-a SR Gen10 Cache module status n/a

SOLVED
Go to solution
regi_p
Frequent Advisor

ProLiant DL360 Gen10 with Smart Array P408i-a SR Gen10 Cache module status n/a

Hi i have this server with 8 SSD drives but it says like below is this normal for all SSD array ? 

Appreciate any advise/feedback 

SSD.PNG
10 REPLIES 10
regi_p
Frequent Advisor

Re: ProLiant DL360 Gen10 with Smart Array P408i-a SR Gen10 Cache module status n/a

Is this the case 

HPE SSD Smart Path is enabled by default when you create an array using SSD drives, hence the controller cache configuration is not available.

regi_p
Frequent Advisor

I'm positive I ordered this fully SSD server with cache module. Same time I ordered another exact same server but with SAS drives it shows the cache module on that one 

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

You are using SATA SSD hard disks in this server, not SAS SSD hard disk.
Please elaborate on your query apart from that if you have any other queries.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

regi_p
Frequent Advisor

hi simply i have all sata ssd's in my server why it shows cache n/a ?

and on another same server with all non ssd drives shows cache 

sudhirsingh
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi,

1.  P408i-a SR Gen10 comes with 2GB built in Cache and no additional cache module

hence it may not list cache module status/serial number.

2. Second possible reason is Cache is disabled/Not configured for any logical drive, now

•      Cache could be disabled if you dont have battery/capacitor present, 
  •      Smart Path is enabled, or
  •      Cache is present but not configured for any logical drive, and "You are not using HPE Smart Cache" 

Now, You should do following:

Verify whether you have battery/capacitor present.
If Smart Path is enabled and you do not want it then follow the steps below to disable it:

Enable or disable HPE SSD smart path
Open HPE SSA.
Select a controller from the Devices menu. The Actions panel appears.
Under Configure>Logical Devices, choose the array with logical drives.
Click Disable HPE SSD Smart Path.
Click Save.

Ensure that Cache is configured for logical drive [If you have not configured "HPE Smart Cache"]
Enter into SSA then check cache status and modify cache settings as below:

(F10->Smart Storage Administrator->Select P408i-a SR->Cache manager->conttroller cache->Modify caching settings->Select Logial drive for which you want to enable the cache)

Reboot the server and check the status.

Hope it clarifies!

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

regi_p
Frequent Advisor

Thanks I will check. This server has battery/capacitor. BTW whats the advantages of smart path? When I setup the Raid I did the default and selected raid 6 adg just like the exact other server but it had all spinning drives unlike all ssd on this server. This server is in production and all are good still worth checking for smart path?
sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi,

It basically allows direct path to SSD drives, bypassing firmware layer so you will get better read performance.

Please refer following old video, though its old but it will explain SSD Smart Path technology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0nUnvj5xgU

also refer page 35 of

HPE Smart Array SR Gen10 User Guide

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00019059en_us

Note:

There is a critical fixes in the latest controller firmware 2.65.

Hence its recommended to update the latest controller firmware also update the matching/latest driver as well.

Hope this answer all your question!

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

regi_p
Frequent Advisor

Hi thanks for the update. I'm on this F/W 2.65 for the controller 

Could you please give me a link for the below you mentioned ?

There is a critical fixes in the latest controller firmware 2.65

Cheers

/R

sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi,

You can download Smart array Firmware version 2.65 from below link

** CRITICAL ** Online ROM Flash Component for Windows (x64) - HPE Smart Array P408i-p, P408e-p, P408i-a, P408i-c, E208i-p, E208e-p, E208i-c, E208i-a, P408i-sb, P408e-m, P204i-c, P204i-b, P816i-a and P416ie-m SR Gen10

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_37e15433b70b44fabfc41b7b67#tab-history

Regards,

Sudhir

>Accept or Kudo