4486 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant DL380 Gen. 8 - Noisy Fans

Daniel2604
Advisor

Proliant DL380 Gen. 8 - Noisy Fans

Hello,

I have a problem with the noise of the fans. Fan 1,2 and 3 has 11% Speed. Fan 4 has 34% and Fan 5,6 has 43% Speed.

The HDD are all HP branded. Dimms could not be authenticated as HP Smart Memory, but the status in ILO is ok and green.

What can I do, to become Fan 4-6 a little bit slower?

ILO Firmware is 2.7.0

Power Management Controller Firmware is 3.3

System Rom P70 12/20/2015

greertings

8 REPLIES 8
Kashyap02
HPE Pro

Hi, 

doe sthe fas speed vary or is it contranty high?

As per the System ROM. this is very old and needs to be updated as the Fan speeds are controlled by ILO and BIOS of the server. Also check if the fimrware of the any PCI cards / storage controllers are updated to the latest. If not, update them to the latest available and verify the fan noise. 

DIMM authentication issues can be caused due to the different reasons like, incorrect population, using of old generation DIMMs and also due to old firmware. Please veriy the DIMM spare part number in the firmware matrix. Link below. 

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03713800

Also verify in the IML if there are any events recorded for fan / DIMM issues. 

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Daniel2604
Advisor

The Fan Speed is constant. Fan 1-3 11%, Fan 4 34% and Fan 5-6 42%.

Power Off - On and Reset the ILO doenst affect anything.

I bought the computer from a second hand dealer (Gecco in Germany) and I am sure that the hardware is compatbile, but I will ask them too,.

Today I will install new BIOS.

Daniel2604
Advisor

I just create a case ticket from hpe. hopefully they can help me to reduce the noise.

Alanbrock
Occasional Visitor

Did you ever find a resolution to the fan speed issue?  I have same issue on my 7 yo ML350 gen 8 server with fans ramping up to 100% about every 5-10 minutes.

Thanks,

Brock in Little ROck

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @Alanbrock

Thank you for posting! Since you have posted in an old topic and there is no response yet, I would recommend you to create a new topic using the create "New Discussion" button, so the experts can check and help you further. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Alanbrock
Occasional Visitor

Sunitha:

Thank you for your suggestion.  However, I'm wondering why HP does not appear to have any information on this topic, as I have seen numerous discussions on fan speed issues.  This should have been resolved by now and some sort of information provided by HP.  Can you determine if HP HAS resolved this??  It would be greatly apprciated and I'm sure there are hundreds of HP users who would also be very excited to see this in a place that is easily accessible.

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Brock

Sunitha_Mod

@Alanbrock 

Hello Brock, 

Thank you for your reply. We would recommend logging a support ticket using the following links so that the support team can assist you further:
https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/A00039121ENW

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=cep-help_en_us&page=index.html

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

I had a similar effect with a DL380 G8 when I tested the effect of thermal paste. So I intalled one CPU cooler with and one cooler without paste.
Interesting result was that both CPU's kept the same temperature but the fans on one side sped up...

So, i would suggest to check if the CPU coolers are installed correctly and apply new thermal paste.
Updating the firmware is also a good idea.

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"