5219 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ProLiant DL380 Gen9 Automatic Shutdown Issue

sarozaryal
Occasional Advisor

ProLiant DL380 Gen9 Automatic Shutdown Issue

Hi, 

Very new to the server issues. Basically, the host has two VM's and it reboots randomly at random times. Going through the logs Vmksummary.log says :"2018-01-29T10:39:20Z bootstop: Host has booted". I'm trrying to figure out whether it's a hardware issue or if one of my VMs causing it. How do I go about finding the issue?

Update: BlueScreenTimeout is 0. 

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
RR33
HPE Pro

You check for LED status during the failure for eminent HW failures.

You can also check the IML - integrated management logs and ILO event logs for any HW related errors.

Finally, you may collect an AHS log(along with a VMsupport log) and log a formal case with HPE support to analyse those logs for any HW issues.

You may proactively check on driver/firmware compatability by referring the HPE-VMware recipe - https://vibsdepot.hpe.com/hpq/recipes/Nov2017VMwareRecipeSPP201610_21.8.1.pdf

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
active-Pro
HPE Pro

Hi 

Please check the Integrated Management Log by connecting to iLO and see what events are recorded

And if there are any error messages preceding the event occurrence.

Does the server reboot?

Also please check this link  https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1019238 

I am an HPE Employee.
Regards.

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

sarozaryal
Occasional Advisor

Where can I find the IML and ILO event logs ?

sarozaryal
Occasional Advisor

Does the server reboot?

Yes, it restarts.

Also please check this link  https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1019238 

I went throgh those steps, I can't find anything that points me towards a software issue.

RR33
HPE Pro

In the ILO home page(GUI) itself

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
sarozaryal
Occasional Advisor

I have acess of the server only through VSphere client...

RR33
HPE Pro

Unfortnately you cannot do much about underlying Hardware from Vcenter console.

You either need ILO access or physicall acess (with down time - so that at least AHS logs can be collected which will have these required stuff for HW)

I am a HPE Employee.
Accept or Kudo
sarozaryal
Occasional Advisor

Hmm..can you tell anything about hardware issues from the VMware logs ? 

rajatmitra
HPE Pro

Hello Sarozaryal,

We won't get too many details from VMlogs. COuld you let us know if the iLO is configured on the server? If so, then you can login there and check the 'Integrated Management Log' listed on the left. Else you would need to take a downtime and reboot the server. Then on POST, press F10 to access 'Intelligent Provisioning' and the using a flash drive collect the 'Active Health System' log. Once collected, you can contact HPE SUpport for the log analysis.

I am HPE Employee

Best regards,
Rajat

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo