1753792 Members
7585 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Proliant ML110 Gen10 Fan Noise

SpudMonkey
Occasional Contributor

Proliant ML110 Gen10 Fan Noise

We've purchased a few Proliant ML110 Gen10 servers and notice quite an increase in the fan noise over the previous Gen9's.

We have installed secondary Graphics and network cards and have installed the additional fan and baffle kit.

We've looked at the BIOS updated the iLO but their still quite loud, not excessively but enough to annoy other people in the office.

Does anyone have any suggestions that could help lower the fan noise without putting it in something.

Many thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
Robertomcat
Regular Advisor

@SpudMonkey wrote:

We've purchased a few Proliant ML110 Gen10 servers and notice quite an increase in the fan noise over the previous Gen9's.

We have installed secondary Graphics and network cards and have installed the additional fan and baffle kit.

We've looked at the BIOS updated the iLO but their still quite loud, not excessively but enough to annoy other people in the office.

Does anyone have any suggestions that could help lower the fan noise without putting it in something.

Many thanks,

Hello good day.

I tell you my experience with the same server, but the previous generation.

I have also incorporated a 10GB network card, a P440 controller, four 16GB RAM modules, a PCI fan and eight 10 TB disks.

At the beginning I also had some constant accelerations of rise and fall of revolutions of the fans, and little by little I have been able to solve it.

The first thing I did was to buy the additional fan that comes with a high TDP processor, and then also add a fan to the HP P440 hardware controller (Noctua USB), since the controller's temperature was too high , still having the PCI fan.

Martinnn
HPE Pro

Good day,

The best approach here would be to bring all the FW versions to to the latest supported SPP version.
In case the issue still persist have to identify which sensor is driving the fans to spin on high speed.

Thanks

Accept or Kudo
Robertomcat
Regular Advisor

@SpudMonkey In the end could you solve the problem of the fans?

SpudMonkey
Occasional Contributor

Hi Robertomcat,

No we didn't find a solution, looks like it's just the amount of fans and general fan noise. All our ML towers are doing it.

Robertomcat
Regular Advisor

@SpudMonkey wrote:

Hi Robertomcat,

No we didn't find a solution, looks like it's just the amount of fans and general fan noise. All our ML towers are doing it.

Well I have the server at home, and the percentage of use of the fan is 6.3% and 7.1%. If you are using a hardware RAID controller, be advised to incorporate a USB fan. My P440 4GB rose at very high temperatures, and now works at 52 °.