1751925 Members
5232 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Proliant ML150 G3 Dual Processor problem

jatoeast
Occasional Visitor

Proliant ML150 G3 Dual Processor problem

I have updated the bios to last update (10/08) and currently have 2 matching SLAEJ Xeon X5345's.  Either work perfectly in socket 1 however when I put the 2nd into socket 2 the system starts up, spins up fans but never fires video or posts.

I've tried clearing CMOS battery, tried both processors in each socket but no matter what once I put a xeon in socket 2 the system wont boot.  Is there a step I'm missing?  A jumper on the systemboard that needs to be changed?

Help me HPKenobi your my only hope!

7 REPLIES 7
jatoeast
Occasional Visitor

Re: Proliant ML150 G3 Dual Processor problem

Ok been doing some digging but kind of confused lol...

Does the ML150 G3 need a "PPM" for socket 2? if so where is that installed/what does it look like?
PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

Please be sure, that the CPUs are supported in this server. Please check if the second heatsink is ok.

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
jatoeast
Occasional Visitor

Xeon 5300-series is supported by ML150 G3 and the 5000 chipset on the system board.  Found some older posts with folks having the exact same issue with no solution.  Any help?

jatoeast
Occasional Visitor

??? Done days of research on this with no avail... Board supports 1 e5345 no problem and the e5345 specs are well within what the system shipped with in terms of wattage/temperature... Help

Harlock
Occasional Advisor

As PGTRI said make sure this processors are supported on this server. Looking at the quickspecs the only ones from the E5300 series listed are the E5335, E5320 and E5310. About the PPM part, on the Server Maintenance and Service Guide I don't see any diagram or part number that shows a PPM so I will say they are part of the system board.

Only possibilities I can think of are:

- Processors not supported

- Second processor slot is damage

PaxFactus
Occasional Contributor

I have been having the almost the same problem.  One pin on the board under CPU 1 is broken off.  I am trying to boot off of just CPU 2, but I can't get it to go past the HP screen.  Can it be operated from only CPU 2?

System_Headache
Advisor

Hello Everyone,

I know this post is really old and I have a 0.78% feeling this will help but let us try it...

Just recently I was all happy having purchased same model CPU [Xeon 5130 2.0Ghz] and HEATSINK but after properly and quatripely checking the specs even before starting all this... once I powered on the computer... right away the CPU1 LED (on the motherboard) quickly turns RED and turns off but nothing showing afterwards and the fan keeps going and going loudly with no display, just the bloody noise from the fan which drives me nuts.

I even removed the second CPU that I've added, removed all other cards , reset the BIOS, press the reset too (removed the battery too) but NOTHING. It is as if the computer is no longer responding and that I've wasted money into it.

Does it required 8GB (all 4 slots) to have memory or something because I am freaking out here because I've lost a significant amount of money and now nothing is working. I've upgraded PowerEdges to other HP servers and this is the first!

I cannot get the lastest BIOS since this HP ML150 G3 was given to me so I have no access to it even with the generic account created, even if I could get the BIOS... cannot do anything... everything seems dead!!!

I've attached two documents, one it shows the CPU's 5130 and the area in which they go into. Nothing shows damage but yet... that CR2 LED turns on RED quickly and I've even tried just runing from CPU2 only by removing CPU1 and still the CR2 would turn on and quickly off.

I think the motherboard just couldn't heandly it or someting so I got a tested refurbished one since I cannot deal with this problem.

Does it need a VRM and/or a PPM?!?!

I need help, someone!
(Did I miss something?)