4634 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

ProLiant ML350p Gen8 Fan going into high mode randomly

Jeffery_Smith
Advisor

ProLiant ML350p Gen8 Fan going into high mode randomly

Hi,

I'm a small business MSP.  I have a client who has a ML350pG8 server that is working fine with the small exception that "seemingly randomly" the fan kicks into high speed mode.  I was there recently, and I thought the server had rebooted during the middle of the day, so I quickly went over and was going to identify what was causing the reboot.  It hadn't rebooted, so I checked the IML to see what event necessitated a higher cooling mode.  Nothing relevant showed up in the IML or server event logs.  The room is air conditioned and cool.  The server is not in direct sunlight or near anything that could be transfering heat.  I check the air pathways and while there was some minimal buildup of dust, it was not enough to substantially obstruct airflow.  I guess I have a couple questions:

1) What could cause a server as described go into high cooling mode?  You know when it sounds like an airplane taking off.

2) Where would an event like this be logged.  I figured the IML since it's a hardware function, but I did not see any events related to cooling, fan speed, etc.  I have the standard stuff loaded for the System Management Homepage, but did not see anything or any degraded items there.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas about this.

Jeff

5 REPLIES 5
krasinka1409
HPE Pro

Re: ProLiant ML350p Gen8 Fan going into high mode randomly

Hello, 

you may try updating the server firmware, as there are multiply known issues on Gen8 servers related to unexpected fan speed behavior. Such issues do not log any specific errors in the event logs. 

Thank you
I am an HPE Employee
Jeffery_Smith
Advisor

I'm not sure why the "Email me when someone replies" checkbox is unchecked, but I just fixed this, so I should notice any repies faster in the future.  I will hunt down the firmware update CD image and get it applied.  I'm pretty sure I did this in late 2016 or early 2017, but hopefully updating will fix the issue.  As long as I have your ear, you ever seen anything like this:

https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/GB1000EAMYC-hard-drive-running-f-w-HPG3-blinking-blue-and/m-p/6968925#M158218

Despite some good ideas from several users, I haven't been able to resolve this problem.  I have to admit that I'm a bit disguested that no one from HP has noted a forum question that is this old and unsolved and attempted to provide some assistance. I know they don't fully moderate these forums, but still, a year old unsolved post...  Maybe if you solve enough problems for HP, they will send you a prize. lol

Thanks,
Jeff

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: ProLiant ML350p Gen8 Fan going into high mode randomly - check for ILO4 NAND issue

Have a look at this please

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00048622en_us

(ILO NAND issue)

ILO-Format.jpeg

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Jeffery_Smith
Advisor

Hi,

Sadly, I was thinking of another server at a different client. This one was purchased in 2013 and is out of "entitlement".  I see the smart update firmware DVD from 2012 is avaialble, but the PSPs aren't avaialble to me. I'm updating those firmware updates that are avaialbe, but I'm hoping there is an easier way such as a more current smart update firmware DVD. Do you know the easiest way to update the firmware when out of "entitlement?" Is there a list of things that are avaialble when out of "entitlement?"

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeffery_Smith
Advisor

Re: ProLiant ML350p Gen8 Fan going into high mode randomly - check for ILO4 NAND issue

Despite being out of entitelment status, I was able to download the f/w update 2.60 for iLo4 and install it.  It isn'd detecting a degraded status, so the firmat option is not made available.  If I'm understanding the document correctly, this means my NAND is okay and I should not try to force a format. Is that your understanding as well?  Also, please note my question above about "easiest way to update firmware on an out of entitlement server."  Any idea on this?

Thanks,

Jeff