New Discussion

Re: ram configuration for dl360 g7

SOLVED
Go to solution
LeeMan1
Frequent Visitor

ram configuration for dl360 g7

Hello

I'm trying to install 4 - 4GB sticks of ram into a DL360 G7 that already has 4 - 4GB of ram. I tried various slots including

ABC DEG GH and also ABC DEF, but I still get a RAM error during post.

What would be the correct slots for 8 - 4GB sticks of RAM?

Thanks

Lee

8 REPLIES 8
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

What type of RAM do you have?

What is the error message?

Do you have 1 or 2 CPUs?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Edwin Eppel
Valued Contributor

Manuals for DL360 G7: http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/home/?sp4ts.oid=4091408#manuals

Server User Guide: http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=4091408&docId=emr_na-c02065265&docLocale=en_US with memory options starting on page 37, population guide lines on page 41.

Note, if using UDIMMs the server supports a maximum of 24GB per CPU with 4GB UDIMMs, which would be only 2 UDIMMs per channel (total of 6 UDIMMs). Each channel only supports up to 2 unbuffered DIMMs. Do not mix UDIMMs and RDIMMs.

For RDIMMs, populate slots sequentially in alphabetic order, (A through I).

For UDIMMS sequentially in alphabetic order A through F (do not populate G through I).

LeeMan1
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

Server has 1 CPU and I'm only putting ram on that side.

My ram is H-500672-B21 and H500210-071, all of which are 4GB, un-buffered sticks. I tried putting in slots AD, BE, CF. During the power up, it beeps for about 1 second, waits a second, then repeats. The ram lights on the Insight Display are red.

It seems like this should work. What would happen if one if the sticks is bad? Would it give me a warning during boot and continue or just stop? However, bad rams seems unlikely, because I just took them out of one server (same type) and put them in another. I put 8GB sticks in the other server, that is working fine.

Thanks for any inut you might have.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

500210-071 == 500672-B21

HP 4GB (1x4GB) Dual Rank x8 PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333) Unbuffered CAS-9 Memory Kit

Unbuffered with ECC DIMMs (UDIMMs)

All 8 dimms the same? This should work.

Now you could do some troubleshooting:

- install a single pair for each memory pair , test each (do all dimms work?)

- add next pair, test with 2 pairs ... etc.

if the error occurs (note the slot pair added), swap the last to pairs, first the last added pair, test.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
LeeMan1
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I tried again this morning and found the error stayed with slots 2,3(channel 1) no matter which ram I put in there.

Since it is currently running on 2-4GB sticks in ch.3 and 2-4GB sticks in ch.4 , could I just replace those with 4-8GB sticks and leave ch1 alone?

Again, thanks for the help.

LeeMan1

LeeMan1
Frequent Visitor

CORRECTION.

Previously, I said I have 2 4GB sticks in channels 3 and 4, what I meant to say was I have 2 4GB sticks in channels 2 and 3 for a total of 16GB.

Sorry about that.

Edwin Eppel
Valued Contributor

According to the manual if a DIMM is bad the slot number should be reported in an error message during post but you don't seem to be experiencing that. A little unusual for a single channel to go bad, but from your testing it appears that channel 1 is the problem. I don't see you having any choice other than to use the remaining 2 good channels, even though the system prefers to have the slots populated in alphabetic order. If it takes the 8GB DIIMMs, go ahead and use them, but I would run some memory diagnostics, like memtest86, to make sure all DIMMs are functioning as expected.

Nokens
Visitor

HI, 

could you please inform,

can the server operate, if  we install only 1 dimm  (not a pair)  in Dl380 G7 server?

i plan to buy  1 ram stick only for testing whether it will be comaptible  on my server ,  and i plan to bought 60 if the ram is tested well,

can the server run with only 1 dimm install?

please help,

thanks,