ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753481 Members
4866 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Replacing smart storage battery on DL380 Gen 9 Erase RAID?

lizmcc93
Occasional Contributor

Replacing smart storage battery on DL380 Gen 9 Erase RAID?

I have been on support with HPE mulitple times due to an error in my ILO for my DL380:

Controller on Slot 3

Model Smart Array P840 Controller Firmware Version 4.52 Controller Type HPE Smart Array Cache Module Status

Failed

They have sent me out two different smart array cards to replace my current on with. After the first replacement the server did not power on at all, all LED lights flashed continuously. The second smart array card they sent me gives the same error as above. They now have sent me out a smart array battery to try chaning out. I have read most online that changing out the smart array battery will not erase the RAID configuration. I am wondering if this is true and if anyone else has had similiar experience like this? Was replacing the battery successful and your RAID stayed intact?

Thank you!!

2 REPLIES 2
Harsh_b
HPE Pro

Hello There, 

Smart Storage battery repalcement does not cause any data loss etc. However its always recommended to have data backup before performing any task on system to avoid any unease situations. 

Regards

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@Harsh_b wrote:

Hello There, 

Smart Storage battery repalcement does not cause any data loss etc. However its always recommended to have data backup before performing any task on system to avoid any unease situations. 

Regards

The array information is not stored on the controller.. The array information is stored in what is known as the RIS area on each disk in the array(s)

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!