2836 Online
109069 Solutions
New Discussion

Samsung EVO870 1TB with HP Del360 Gen8 Server

davidmiils2008
Occasional Visitor

Samsung EVO870 1TB with HP Del360 Gen8 Server

Hello!
I have a HP Del360 Gen8 Server with RAID controller P420i.
My problem is I have two sets of SSDs. 6 x Gigabyte 256GB  and 4 x 1TB SSD EVO870.
I made two RAID 1+0. One with 256GB and another with 1TB SSDs.
TLDR; All 256GB are working okay(solely or RAIDed together). 1TB SSDs have normal performance when they are not RAIDed together and bad performance when they are RAIDed. Also 1TB SSDs gets failed randomly.

The first time I got logical drive failed(one with 1TB SSDs) in ILO and it was showing a hard drive is failed.
Since I did buy these SSDs a week ago(not a good reason, but they are new), I thought it was probably a false alarm and might be gone with a reboot. I made the reboot, server came up without any error. 1 - 2 days later same thing happened.
I started to test performance of 1TB drives RAID and it was really low. then I cleaned up the server and made each drive a single logical drive solely. Started testing their performance. All of their performance were okay. but suddenly one of drives got disconnected. Checked kernel logs and drive were disconnected. Checked in ILO and drive was failed. Then I rebooted and drive came up okay and start working with expected performance but same thing happened again. I did not restart the server this time to check if that happen only to that single drive or other 1TBs too. Came back 1 day later and another 1TB was failed.
I searched to find whether EVO870 is compatible with my server/RAID controller but didn't find anything.

Could You please let me know if drives are compatible with my server and what else can I do?

3 REPLIES 3
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: Samsung EVO870 1TB with HP Del360 Gen8 Server

Hello,

You may refer to section "Core Options > HP Hard Drives" from pages 43 to 47 of the HPE ProLiant DL360p Gen8 Server's QuickSpecs or the section "Core Options > HP Hard Drives" from pages 32 to 34 of the HPE ProLiant DL360e Gen8 Server's QuickSpecs for SSD support.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

davidmiils2008
Occasional Visitor

Thank you so much.

From that PDF, then it means my server is not compatible with GIGABYTE drives too. but it is working with them without having any issue.

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hello,

The documents indicates that these options from HPE have been tested to work and be compatible with HPE Products. All available third party solutions have not been tested on the HPE servers like that of the HPE options. 

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo